1981 xs400sh wire harness question

EJ8TrapKing

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently bought a wire harness off ebay and its not working, but i tested the wire points and they are still good. All that's wrong with it is the connectors are old and rusted and also the transister is blown. So my question is what all do i need to do to restore it?
Fuse, connectors, transistor, and maybe clean out the rusts on the connectors or just completely buy new ones and solder it onto the loom.

don't go cheap on connectors, get quality.

I use Vehicle wiring products and eBay 3.9mm Japanese bullets and covers.

i have a question about my wire harness. I finally got my bike to start but barely. The main fuse feels hot every time I electric start it and I don't know why, and the bike starts up up rarely. Do I need the resister that is between the wires for it is a breaking transistor start system?

Seems to me, that if it feels hot, then that is probably a problem a lot of resistance. or More energy is being used than is necessary. seems to me the basics were thought up when the bike was built, so as long as someone hasn't replaced wires with thinner gauge wires, it should not be a issue of "To thin of wires for existing job" So we are (should be) down to Energy being used more than is necessary? aka "a short" Start with ground wires. I remember last year, I had most of the Wire harness off, and I was testing every wire, to ensure there was no short, but every time I tested a ground, there was a short. turns out if your going to "Ohm out every line" You need to remove the light bulbs, for at least the neutral safety switch, and turn signals. the bulbs pass energy onto the frame to light up. I even tested the Diode for the headlight. Perhaps the Electric start every time you use it, It seems the manufacture put limits on how many seconds you should attempt to use electric start for, Just don't go over their recommendations. if that is the case. I have the book here somewhere, Perhaps it will pop up before I lose this page ;) Good luck

Back