For Sale - 1982 DOHC XS400 – $400 obo

sipma02

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, sadly, hopefully not regretfully, I'm selling my XS400. Its been an AMAZING learning experience, loads of fun, and I really hope to get another someday. For now, its taking up too much room in the old garage. Plus, I have a lot of other things on my plate right now, and time isn't one of them.

So for sale: A 1982 Yamaha XS400. Its in various pieces right now, but to my knowledge its 97% complete. I say 97% because I can't totally in good faith say that its all there. But there is a large percentage of the parts. I will part out if enough items get spoken for. You pay shipping. Unfortunately, that limits this to a somewhat local sale. I could deliver within a few hundred miles for the right price. I'll say that if I can get enough items spoken for, I would possibly part it out. here's a rough breakdown of parts:

$50 wheels: OG rear 16" with good condition (under 1k miles) tires, and also 2 earlier XS400 (SOHC) wheels. 3 total rims (think of the possibilities!)
$250 engine: is complete (carbs, uncut/low rust exhaust, complete airbox, etc) and ran as of October. Compression around 140 psi in both cylinders. I posted a video somewhere. I was hoping to make an Arduino-based ignition, but that didn't work out for various reasons. Maybe I'll try again someday, but not with this :(
$20 frame: uncut, but added/welded material to top so I could sit higher. Im tall. You could remove and maintain the integrity of the frame if you wanted.
$10 seat: yep. Great condition.
$50 Tank: You better believe it. Painted. Zero rust inside.
$40 Keys: get a load of this. Same key for ignition, tank, helmet lock, and fork lock. I think I have 2.

I feel like this is a pretty good deal, and I'd love to pass it on. I'm happy to take offers, let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sure! Just checked–I totally made a mistake, i dont have the front for the 1982 XS400 DOHC! I do have the rear. Theres the 19" and 18" from what I believe is the SOHC XS400.
Rear:
IMG_9906.jpg

Other:
IMG_9907.jpg

Unfortunately, sadly, hopefully not regretfully, I'm selling my XS400. Its been an AMAZING learning experience, loads of fun, and I really hope to get another someday. For now, its taking up too much room in the old garage. Plus, I have a lot of other things on my plate right now, and time isn't one of them.

So for sale: A 1982 Yamaha XS400. Its in various pieces right now, but to my knowledge its 97% complete. I say 97% because I can't totally in good faith say that its all there. But there is a large percentage of the parts. I will part out if enough items get spoken for. You pay shipping. Unfortunately, that limits this to a somewhat local sale. I could deliver within a few hundred miles for the right price. I'll say that if I can get enough items spoken for, I would possibly part it out. here's a rough breakdown of parts:

$50 wheels: OG rear 16" with good condition (under 1k miles) tires, and also 2 earlier XS400 (SOHC) wheels. 3 total rims (think of the possibilities!)
$250 engine: is complete (carbs, uncut/low rust exhaust, complete airbox, etc) and ran as of October. Compression around 140 psi in both cylinders. I posted a video somewhere. I was hoping to make an Arduino-based ignition, but that didn't work out for various reasons. Maybe I'll try again someday, but not with this :(
$20 frame: uncut, but added/welded material to top so I could sit higher. Im tall. You could remove and maintain the integrity of the frame if you wanted.
$10 seat: yep. Great condition.
$50 Tank: You better believe it. Painted. Zero rust inside.
$40 Keys: get a load of this. Same key for ignition, tank, helmet lock, and fork lock. I think I have 2.

I feel like this is a pretty good deal, and I'd love to pass it on. I'm happy to take offers, let me know. Thanks!
I live in illinois would you be willing to ship at all? I'm interested in your thank possibly.

It's a totally different type tank. It's made for a different style frame. With enough work and mods any tank could be used but welding and cutting would need to be done.

Hello im a newbie here and curious if anyone could help me with my motor? Its a complete ‘80 XS400 special that i could offer parts for some assistance. Main things id like to keep are the wheels, suspension and frame. Of course the motor as well. Everything else is up for grabs.

Or if you guys know anyone selling a running motor i would love their info.

Back