1982 Maxim - Odd VIN number

gaillarry

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting this bike for $50, its been sitting for 3 years, so needs a bit of work. I think it's a maxim but the VIN is 00450, no letter designation - which is odd. Can anyone ID this bike?

Maxim400.jpg

Got the VIN from the registration (title). I bit the bullet and just bought it for $50. When I get it home I'll post back more info. This is my winter project !!!

It is probably something like 15G-000450. Check the Sticker on the steering stem, and the VIN is also stamped into the right side of the stem and on the right side of the engine case just under the carb. Though it is possible that the engine may have been changed and won't match.

My '82 Maxim is 15G-000594

Dave

Looking at getting this bike for $50, its been sitting for 3 years, so needs a bit of work. I think it's a maxim but the VIN is 00450, no letter designation - which is odd. Can anyone ID this bike?
I'd bet definitely a dohc Maxim. Check the sprocket cover plate behind the gear shift lever. If the engraving shows a 5 spd transmission, it is a Maxim.

It is probably something like 15G-000450. Check the Sticker on the steering stem, and the VIN is also stamped into the right side of the stem and on the right side of the engine case just under the carb. Though it is possible that the engine may have been changed and won't match.

My '82 Maxim is 15G-000594

Dave

Your'e right is 15G-00450. Got the bike home, now to get it running and find part (forks, gas tank, seat). Fleabay here I come !!

Your'e right is 15G-00450. Got the bike home, now to get it running and find part (forks, gas tank, seat). Fleabay here I come !!

Before you try there, try these guys: http://www.siriusconinc.com/

Chris is the guy you want to talk to, or address your email to. He has owned XS's in the past and has been a valuable source of info regarding the parts I needed for my Maxim. It might even be worth getting into their store if you can.

And it probably won't hurt to mention my name either... :thumbsup:

Dave

And expect to have to re-jet the carbs if they haven't already been done. The exhaust you have is not stock and will require more fuel.

Check my other threads for more info on the fun I've been having...

Dave

I acquired via gift what I was told is a 84 Yamaha 400. No model, no title, no registration. I found what I assume is the vin on the engine and the steering stem. vin is 12R-007950 can I use this to file for a lost title. I'm completely new to bikes just looking for some help and guidance. .

That's the VIN. Pretty sure the procedure depends on the state you're in.
Don't know if there's anyone on the forum from Tennessee.

It would be good to start a new thread for your and your bike, if you are going to document your journey.

12R is an 82 dohc xs400 maxim. The build date on the neck will help with year also. Post some pics so we can see it. It should look like this.
100_1211.jpg

Last edited:
Back