1982 seca xs400 build (New thread)

ksqrly looks like you spent your time shining it up,I know I have alot of work today.maybe you just gave me something to do today LOL.Anyways where dide you get the filter that you have on your crankcase and how much did it cost?Also is there a bracket you have to make or can you buy them.?Thanks

I just checked the Yamaha part numbers, and our bike shares a front caliper with the same years XS650. Mike's XS has brand new pistons for less than $40, for next time...

Yes, but it's not stainless steel.

I figured if I was going to replace the piston, I'd make sure I never had to do it again. There will be no "next time" :)

After shipping and all it was like 7 bucks more for the stainless.

ksqrly looks like you spent your time shining it up,I know I have alot of work today.maybe you just gave me something to do today LOL.Anyways where dide you get the filter that you have on your crankcase and how much did it cost?Also is there a bracket you have to make or can you buy them.?Thanks

I bought it off of ebay for like $15. I just popped the old breather hose off and it clamped right on.

Yes, but it's not stainless steel.

I figured if I was going to replace the piston, I'd make sure I never had to do it again. There will be no "next time" :)

After shipping and all it was like 7 bucks more for the stainless.

Good point.

Finishing up cleaning the engine. I didnt see any leaky gaskets, so dont think Ill tare into the motor until after summer.

I have a question about the tach cable. How can I get rid of it? Do I just pull it out and call it good, or do I need to plug the hole?

I was working with Millenium Falcon to get a DOHC hole plugger made. He's done them for the SOHC crowd.

If you don't plug the hole, it will leak oil.

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the conformation bentwrench. Lets do it Millenium Falcon.

Also a little update on the build. I made a battery box out of an old computer speaker (looked like shit, but did the trick), and I decide that it wasnt going to cut it on this build, so I called up my buddy who is a a commercial welder and he is going to weld one up out of stainless and ship it to me for $35. I thought it was a hell of a deal.

Not sure of the size you'd need, but in the mean time, you can go to an Auto Parts store and buy a rubber expansion plug to shove in there. I got a couple from O'Reilly's

86782.png

Not sure of the size you'd need, but in the mean time, you can go to an Auto Parts store and buy a rubber expansion plug to shove in there. I got a couple from O'Reilly's

86782.png

Cool I like that. The only q I have is does oil still come out of the small hole? will it fill up in the round area under the plug?

Does that make sense? its hard to explain what Im asking.

Ok, so I dont think I was being completely clear when I initially asked the question. Im guessing the plug you suggested is for the larger round opening not the tiny hole, so is it ok to just seal the round opening(red circle), or do I need to plug the tiny hole(blue circle)?

That was what I was trying to ask. Sorry for not being very clear originally.

tach hole.jpg

You'd be better off getting a plug for the red opening. Less chance of debris getting into the engine. And if you decide to go back to a mechanical tach in the future, it will be easy to remove the plug and install a cable.

You'd be better off getting a plug for the red opening. Less chance of debris getting into the engine. And if you decide to go back to a mechanical tach in the future, it will be easy to remove the plug and install a cable.

My thoughts exactly, but will I need to worry about oil spilling out of the blue hole and into the open area between blue hole and the plugged red hole? I doubt its even that big of deal as long as the red hole is sealed off but just wondering.

Thanks for the great info guys.

Right, you should be fine getting a plug that fits the red opening diameter. They're like 3 bucks, so if it doesn't work, you can wait until you get a nice pretty alum plug made. Like I said, it's just a stop gap...even though it should last the life of the bike.

Thanks Charles. I have a big list of small things that I need to buy. Hopefully Ill get some time this weekend.

I was hoping to have pretty much everything done except for electrical this week, but aint no way thats going to happen. Damnnn back to school next week

my tach cable had the little metal plug with the o ring on the end of it. I just took out the cable portion and welded the metal plug closed. I think it should work.

my tach cable had the little metal plug with the o ring on the end of it. I just took out the cable portion and welded the metal plug closed. I think it should work.

I think I will use a plug. I want to be able to use later if I need to.

One quick question. I dont think it matters, but I forgot which coil was the left and which was the right. Does it matter?

If you are referring to the physical ignition coil as it sits on your work bench, then no. They are the same. Once they are connected to the wiring harness, they become specific. ;)

If you are referring to the physical ignition coil as it sits on your work bench, then no. They are the same. Once they are connected to the wiring harness, they become specific. ;)

Ya I see from the diagram that the wiring was different for the right and left, but I was talking about physically on my bench. Thanks for the answer that was exactly what I needed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back