1982 seca xs400 build (New thread)

Also, have you worked out a rear fender? This thing is coming together nicely! as a maxim owner, i'm always curious to see how people work around that monoshock.

I think I have found your problem then. If you clipped the wires on the kickstand switch and connected them your ignition wont work. The kickstand relay is a normally closed relay, so it works opposite of most relays. Meaning when it gets a signal it disconnects the wires instead of connecting them. To override the kickstand relay just clip the black/white wire from your ignition.

To get rid of the neutral relay clip the red/white wires coming from the relay and splice them.

My frame is going to act as my fender. There wont be anything else on the rear of the bike.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Are you using anything toward the front of your swingarm to keep mud off your filters and battery?
my swingarm is the same with those two little verical bars.... i considered putting a metal plate there.

I just need to figure out why this fuse keeps blowing. I know there is an entire thread of wiring diagrams, but I can't seem to find one of an 82 maxim. Anyone know of a bike that uses the same or similar wiring?
Ksqrly, was your 83 diagram sufficient you think?

Thanks. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Are you using anything toward the front of your swingarm to keep mud off your filters and battery?
my swingarm is the same with those two little verical bars.... i considered putting a metal plate there.

Not sure what ill do there. Probably fashion a thick piece of leather or something like that.

I just need to figure out why this fuse keeps blowing. I know there is an entire thread of wiring diagrams, but I can't seem to find one of an 82 maxim. Anyone know of a bike that uses the same or similar wiring?
Ksqrly, was your 83 diagram sufficient you think?

That is the diagram for all dohc models, You wont find one that shows any better information. It was slightly different then my stock harness though.
Differences are
-No passing switch on my bike
-No kickstand relay in the diagramn
-On/off switch works double time to supply ignition and head unit with power
-Head light power wire is connected to red/yellow head power wire

Ok so the motor is in. Only 4 bolts pretty simple.
Motor in.jpg

Things that are left to do.
-Put on exhaust
-Put on foot controls
-Finish the front brake
-Do fuel line and pet cock
-Tune and install carbs

Did you end up finding a different monoshock option or are you working with that stock one? Also, do you ever check out Bill's Boneyard out in Magna? It's right near my work so I go during lunch sometimes. If you're looking for a different shock (maybe one of those XT ones) they may have something for you.

Did you end up finding a different monoshock option or are you working with that stock one? Also, do you ever check out Bill's Boneyard out in Magna? It's right near my work so I go during lunch sometimes. If you're looking for a different shock (maybe one of those XT ones) they may have something for you.

I think Ill leave the shock for now. Yup I have grab a few things from ol bill. Did you see his bike with the small block 350?

Ksqrly - did you have to replace the bearing inside of your swingarm? For my swingarm they use the roller bearing style. One of them is totally shot and all the needles in it are broken. The other is fine.
I was wondering if you (or anyone) has had to replace them, and if there is a bushing option that will work to eliminate those bearings.

Ksqrly - did you have to replace the bearing inside of your swingarm? For my swingarm they use the roller bearing style. One of them is totally shot and all the needles in it are broken. The other is fine.
I was wondering if you (or anyone) has had to replace them, and if there is a bushing option that will work to eliminate those bearings.

I would stick with bearings, and no my swingarm bearings were fine

Its starting to warm up here and its killing me that the bike isn't running yet. Here are some progress pics.

Wiring finished.jpg
Built up.jpg

My carbs are being a bitch right now. They dont want to go on. Can I use wd-40 to lube up the carb boots, or should I use something else?

Pretty close. Im currently tied up in another project, so I havent been able to work on it as much lately. Hopefully this weekend it will make noise!!!

Any plans for the foot pegs? I don't see any rubber on them and that smooth metal will get awfully slippery.

Back