1982 seca xs400 build (New thread)

I'd just wait to get a confirmation from a DOHC owner. Just be patient; someone will know for sure!

Ok, so i'm bumping this thread back with a question. I'm trying to hide all my wiring similar to where you did. The problem i'm running into is enough clearance with the rear wheel. I think with the shock totally bottomed out it would be hitting any metal plate that I weld to the underportion of the frame tubing. Any feedback on this? Was this a problem you ran into and how did you avoid it?
There is a small area just behind the shock that is clear from any moving parts but it's small. I think it'd be a struggle to put everything in a box there.

crank your shock down as stiff as it goes and you should be fine. I have plenty of clearance. It might touch if the shock bottoms out but I had my 200+ pound friend bounce on it and he couldn't get it to touch, so it should be ok for considering I only weigh 150. If you want some pics of different angles just let me know.

I did the exact same thing. I have my 200 pound buddy put all his weight on it. It just barely touched. I'm going to have my lady on the back from time to time, and she's massive (just kidding). the two of us should be right around 250 or so, so that's where my concern lies.

If you don't mind, would you please take a picture from the side or the bottom so I can see how far down on the frame you put it?

for DOHC you need pilot jets without bleed holes on side.
I have tried them once (thought they might also work), but unfortunately bike idled like sht with them (too rich even with same #) :banghead:

Here is a pic newb. It is pretty much in line with the y of the two frame tubes

Tail section.jpg

I posted some in a previous thread but they looked like hell.
Once I get this sorted I'll be able to put it back together and get some photos.
Thanks for the photo. That's what my problem is is determining how low I can go with this metal piece.

^Ok, another question for you Sqrly. I got my bike running btw. It consistently starts. I just need to get it all together to ride it a bit then will tune the carbs.

But, I have a similar speedometer as yours. It has the one red wire and one black wire. Do you by chance know how I could get that to work using the stock wiring harness? If I can just attach the black to a ground and then attach the red to another wire?

Ya the black is a ground, and Im guessing you can just use the existing speedo power supply

My carbs are being a bitch right now. They dont want to go on. Can I use wd-40 to lube up the carb boots, or should I use something else?

Did anyone ever confirm anything related to this? I'm going to have to take my carbs off a few times I imagine to get the jetting right, and damn it's a bitch to put them back on. Will wd 40 or penetrating oil or any very small amount be ok?

The easiest way I have found to put these on is to sit on the ground with your back towards the front of the bike and put your shoulder into the engine and bear hug the carbs onto the intake manifolds. I have found it to be the ideal position to get enough leverage.

carb positioning.jpg
Horrible pic but you get it:thumbsup:

^ haha, yeah. I got it. I got them on in an equally as graceful way laying on the seat with my chin on the tank and just pushing forward.

Sorry for another question. I have the same situation as you with the pilot jets. I went to Wright's down on state street and got pilots, but they had the holes on the side. I didn't notice this until my bike bogged down from getting too much fuel (I assume). Do those vents somehow allow more fuel in? I take it we do need the ones without the holes on the side?

Arturs - do you know if in that link you sent the "non bleed" refers to the lack of holes on the side?

And one more thing. My bike is on the center stand. The clutch engages enough for me to shift gears, but for some reason with the clutch in and in gear the rear wheel locks. Any idea what's causing this?

Ksqrly - Here's a couple photos of my bike. I'm not stoked on how it came out. A new tank would make all the difference in the world. If I can find a '78 xs tank I'd try to make it work.
61916_890238787461_1348049956_n.jpg

58111_890238493051_1994306695_n.jpg

A few things to work out still:
I had it running a couple days ago. Now it just keeps turning over until I get the "click, click, click" from the starter solenoid. I have no clue why it's not starting. I take the carbs off and gas pours out of them.

And, I can't get the blinkers to blink. Either it's a busted relay or they're not drawing enough power.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I hate to be that anxious person, but it's nice out and I wanna ride.

Anyone any any idea for either situation?

For the blinkers, I don't think the relay is broken. It was working just fine a couple weeks ago. if I replace the bulbs in the blinkers would that change the amount of power it draws and make it flash?

Back