1982 xs400 rear hub

May

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first motorcycle a few months ago and driving on the highway the chain hopped off the rear sprocket. Luckily I was able to coast safely to a stop.

I brought it to a shop to get it fixed and to find out what happened exactly. The mechanic tells me the rear hub is shot and new part is discontinued. I called a yamaha dealer and they said the same thing. But I got the part number 12R-25366-00-39.

Question is, where can I find a new hub? Can I keep the wheel and simply change the hub? Mechanic seems to think I need to find a used wheel and hub.

I need help!

Mat
received_2240753882821363.jpeg
received_307237586498493.jpeg
received_2240753882821363.jpeg
received_307237586498493.jpeg

The safe thing to do would be to pick up a used wheel. Personally, Id remove the wheel and examine it for cracks and missing metal. You can still order a new sprocket, nuts, and the locking tabs, maybe even the rubber grommets inside the hub if that wheel has them. Im not sure because I havent dealt with mag wheels yet. You can easily find used chain tensioners as well.

Id reassemble it all with the new bits and ride on as normal.

Your chain mustve been very loose for it to pop off...

You need to remove the engine cover and examine the drive sprocket as well. If a loose chain ran through that, it couldve damaged things and ripped the wires that run right beside the chain drive. Get a new chain and a drive sprocket. The drive sprocket also has a locking washer that gets bent out of shape. the nut for the drive sprocket is also pretty large and youll have to buy a socket for it.

Back