1982 XS400 won't start

Johncenamaxim

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
First post here-

Hello I purchased this bike just a couple of months ago. It had a busted rear brake which I fixed. The carb was cleaned which took care of it jumping 0-80 and whatnot.

Couple weeks ago, one of my fused blew and in the effort of replacing it, I pretty much broke off every part of the 38 year old fuse box. i broke the prongs that hold the fuses, so I used electrical tape to connect the "all" 20A fuse to the wires directly. It started up, I was on my way home and the whole bike suddenly turned off on me. kept trying to get a better fuse connection and it would crank for a second and not start. Once I get like one crank on it it wouldn't even make a noise and cut off the headlight whenever I press the start button.

I managed to get it back to my car port and charge my battery with a 1A trickle charger overnight, replaced the fuse box. the lights are brighter than ever, but the electric starter isn't working. It cranks some times, but 95 percent of the time it won't make a noise and turn the headlight off while I'm pressing the start button. .

Any advice??? please help!

-John Cena

check your starter relays or rectifier.Seems kind like a charging issue aND DID THE SAMETHING WHEN MY BIKE STOP CHARGING AND RUNNING.dAM IT I having to walk a bike home when your riding.My last ride mine quite had to walk 1 and 1/2 miles home.BTW the starter relays are those little bronze boxes under the seat lower part of the frame on the right side of the bike.there is realy no way to test them except for trying to find another and put it on.Also seems that you need to redo your fuse box my guess is you have a broken connection.

Back