For Sale - 1983 XS400 Maxim DOHC

MechanicalDad

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was riding this bike last summer, and it was running fine. Unfortunately the starter idler gear inside the crankcase let go, and it is now unstartable. The gear binds in the transmission, and of course without the starter connected to the gearing, it won't start anyway.
I am in Scarborough, Maine, just south of Portland.
I have begun parting it out, and still have lots of good stuff left.

Thanks!

Steve

Parts gone: Tank, seat, pickup coils, carbs, tach cable, clutch cable, exhaust, ignition with key.

Last edited:
If you have the oil element cover I would kill for that. Unfortunately I cracked mine and without it my bike wont run. I just finished building my bike and I broke that part, so can you help me out? PLEASSSEEEEE say yes

hey steve...

Looks like I'm in the market for the following part's if you go that way

My bike is a 82 XS400J DOHC so assume parts will work but I'll confirm if you want to sell.

1) ignition pickup coils as per attached (this is the most important)
2) front brake cable
3) instrument cluster/ignition switch and key (my tach glass & needle is broken and I can pull key out of my ignition

if you want to sell, send we a private message and we can work out details

thanks man

Attachments

• DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 331
You do know original JB Weld will fix that if you clean it and mix and cure properly and if it can still be made to fit right ksqrly? I hope you get your proper part but I have repaired the side cover of a 1974 KZ400 where a wrong kick starter cracked the case. That bike never leaked a drop of oil. I laid down a Honda CB360T and did the same to it, never leaked a drop either. Whats more I didn;t even open the case, just laid it on it's side and dish soap cleaned and wire brushed the cracks real good.

tried JB weld and it didnt hold. Not saying that I did it the best that I could have. but it was very hard to get the aluminum completely clean. Im guessing after years off sitting the oil soaked into the soft aluminum making it hard to get a completely clean surface. I imagine putting heat to it would have helped but I fortunately got the part.

Hi all,
I was riding this bike last summer, and it was running fine. Unfortunately the starter idler gear inside the crankcase let go, and it is now unstartable. The gear binds in the transmission, and of course without the starter connected to the gearing, it won't start anyway. Here is a link to the CL ad with pics: http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/3732678384.html

I am in Scarborough, Maine, just south of Portland. I will part it out if I don't get a reasonable offer, so let me know if you want dibs on a part.

Thanks!

Steve

Edit: I have definitely gotten more requests for parts than reasonable offers for the whole bike, so I am parting it out. I will keep a running tally of what is actually sold here. Thanks.

What do have left on the 400 Yamaha ? Shawn South Portland ... 641-7305

Posted via Mobile

This probably is a dead thread but new here and I'm looking for side covers. The piece that comes from the bottom of the gas tank and attaches like under the seat and also what covers the cdi and regulator panel. If that makes any sense. I have a 1983 xs400 maxima

Not dead yet! haha

I believe I have the right side "swoop" that comes off the gas tank, but already sold the left.
I will try to get out there tomorrow and get you some pictures.

Thanks!

Steve

Back