1983 XS400 Maxim Tracker Build

hfxnick

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 1983 XS400 Maxim a few months back for $550. It belonged to my uncle and he drove it daily until last year. I was trying to sell it for months as I ended up buying a newer CBR as a daily driver. It runs and should only need a rear brake switch to pass a motor vehicle inspection here in Halifax, Canada.

After showing it a few times and no one forking over the measly $500 I was asking for it, I thought long and hard about keeping it. I decided if I was going to keep it, I was going to strip the entire bike and build something personal that I'll love.

After negotiating garage space at my parent's place 25 minutes away, I put my plate on the bike and drove it there to get started. The carbs were cleaned the day before so it ran great after one initial hiccup where it wasn't getting power when twisting the throttle which worked itself out.

Here is what I'm starting with:

Right now I'm in the process of stripping the bike down to a rolling chassis and ordering my tracker seat so it can be mocked up, brackets welded etc.

IMG_0124_zpscdyiavna.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsfatmhy6j.jpg

IMG_0138_zpsmxquto7h.jpg

Update 1:
Ordered this tonight! Should be here by the end of the month.
Screenshot%202015-09-10%2021.39.06_zpsn6kqjzns.png

Screenshot%202015-09-10%2021.39.22_zpsjwknvr6j.png

Update 2:
So the bike is almost stripped. Wiring harness is removed, carbs removed, rear shock, tank, headlight, signals, exhaust. Found a guy who will powder coat the frame for $140 once I have the new seat and tank mocked up and everything else removed from the frame.
IMG_0166_zpsfrxfjtur.jpg

IMG_0164_zps3oyth3hg.jpg

IMG_0165_zpsbjlhebjx.jpg

Found a 1982 XJ650 Seca gas tank on the cheap but haven't picked it up yet, is this tank somewhat of a drop-in?
Seca1_zpstruur9ej.jpg

The consensus seems to be that there are no drop-in replacement tanks.

Edit: Did a quick comparison of the parts diagrams. The forward and rear mounts look similar between the two, if you're really lucky it might drop-in, but more than likely you'll be looking at relocating the rear mounting point.

Thanks for info. I think I'm gonna take a chance on the tank and make it work. I'm going to be welding custom seat brackets on anyway, what's another bracket/mounting point to relocate? lol.

On that note... the seat came in today. I was surprised how fast that shipped.

I have a XS400 Maxim that I've been thinking about making a tracker as well. I use this picture as my inspiration. I see loads of potential there. How's your build going?

Attachments

• maxim frame.jpg
    maxim frame.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 1,384
Back