3D Printed Parts

BBS360

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Brake fluid reservoir:
20141114_200301.jpg

Modeled the reservoir from scratch based on my XS360's very aged reservoir. Metal inserts are required to accept stock screws. I have the inserts installed in a prototype and they fit the stock cover perfectly.
I haven't been able to test it but bikes where the cap screws thread into the master cylinder body should work without the threaded inserts.
Might also fit bikes that take taller reservoirs like the XS750. Wouldn't take much to adjust the height of the 3D model if I knew the height.

Insert for stock fuse box to secure low profile mini blade fuse holders:
20141114_200220[1].jpg

Snaps perfectly into the points that held the old glass fuses. Haven't been able to test it yet as I am still waiting for the crimping tool to arrive in the mail.
Fits inside the stock cover though.

Both are printed in porous nylon which is not water-tight and unsuitable for the reservoir. I will be making a polyurethane mold at some point. Haven't decided whether to keep it clear white like stock or tint it teal to match my bike's paint job.

The 3D printing service does also offer a clear acrylic which should handle DOT3 brake fluid. At $100 for the acrylic vs $27 for the nylon I opted for the cheaper nylon plus the cost of polyurethane molding which I might find other applications for.

I made them for my own purposes. 3D printing is a very interesting technology and I thought this would be a good way to try it out.
Thought I'd share.

Very cool! A headlight bucket could be another bit you could print out maybe?
I thought about doing side covers. Definitely could be done. The printing leaves a rought texture, especially on curves. Probably better to take a mold off a good original and cast in resin, polyurethane, or fiberglass.

...and.....carbs :laugh::D
great job so far...:thumbsup:
That would be the ultimate achievement. All the small passageways for air and gas could be incorporated into the print. Rather than the factory's method of drilling straight holes and plugging with brass the printed passageways could be curved and probably much more efficient, if someone knew enough about fluid dynamics to get the right shapes.
I do not.

thats really neat! now what else would be suitable for 3d printing?
turn signal lenses?
velocity stacks?
Custom lense patterns. Maybe even lenses better suited for LEDs. The lenses would come out frosted from the printer's rough finish.

Velocity stacks could be great though. Ditto on the fluid dynamics but I'm sure something could be done to enhance the venturi effect in the carbs by twisting the stacks.

Re: lenses, could you polish them with acetone? I've seen that done with opaque objects but I don't know what kind of transmission you'd get with translucent material.

Where are you getting your printing done? I designed a prototype upper triple and got it printed at the local library's Makerspace for about $8. The triple was just to test fit, naturally; if it it fit (it didn't) the plan was to get it milled.

I printed with shapeways.com. The reservoir was $27. Might be more than makerspace but I've been happy so far. The smallest detail possible with nylon is 0.2mm.
Shapeways also lets people order prints from designers if the designer wants to sell them.

There is a makerspace in town. Haven't checked it out yet but the only pricing scheme on their website is $50/month. Seems a bit high.

Acetone would probably help with acrylic prints. Spraying a light primer and wet sanding might help with the nylon prints. Might try it on my older prototype.

Small update. Very first attempt at casting a reservoir from a mold of the 3D print.
20151213_160417.jpg

Fits in the master cylinder perfectly. Cap screws on nicely.

Didn't have a vacuum chamber to degas the materials prior to pouring so there are some bubbles.
Surface texture needs a lot of work. If not for the rough finish they would be almost crystal clear.

Wouldn't be an issue with more opaque materials or maybe colour tints.

Sill messing around with other designs for printing/milling. Designs for "optimal" performance velocity stacks end up being much wider than the carbs. There's a compromise somewhere....

Just the reservoir?
Haven't made any more yet. Planning to try a different technique to make the mold itself.

I don't know if that prototype actually holds brake fluid.
We'll see how the next casting goes. Might need someone to test the next one.

Nice, I dont think Ive seen this before. Ive 3D printed alot of stuff, my roommate has one and we crank stuff out all the time. I alwasy thought it would be neat to make carb boots, or minimal bar levers.

Still playing around with some of these.
Modified the fuse box insert slightly and had another two printed. One for each bike.
Came up with a different technique for casting the brake fluid reservoirs. Will cast a new one soonish.

Made up a knob for my SJ's highbeam switch. Stock knob had been broken off.
It looks kind of goofy. Was mostly just playing around with shapes.
20171004_174112 (Large).jpg
Also had this prototype printed off:
20171004_174340 (Large).jpg 20171004_174328 (Large).jpg
Won't be going on the bike anytime soon. The upward bend matches the angle of the frame triangle....

Still playing around with some of these.
Modified the fuse box insert slightly and had another two printed. One for each bike.
Came up with a different technique for casting the brake fluid reservoirs. Will cast a new one soonish.

Keep us informed on the parts! Especially interested in the reservoirs, any idea of how much they would cost? Same about the fuse holder.

Back