40 mph front end wobble

natboh

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with another bike it's a 1980 cx500 not a xs400 but I think it's a universal problem that someone here could have some advice on.

I recently noticed that I have a no hands handle bar wobble at 35-45 mph. Nothing below and nothing above.if I have a hand or any pressure on the handle bar nothing.

Recently one day I noticed the tire was low so went and filled it up it was at 8 psi. Topped it off and rode a few short rides

I have new tires and will have them mounted this week so hopefully that will take care of the issue

Is there anything else that could cause that? Possibly steering bearings or somthing else? I did put a fairing on the front but the issue wasn't noticed in till the tire went low.

So have the front end up in the air and have the wheel off. There is no wobble in the bearings if I try to wiggle it but if I move it from far left to right there is a small numb in the middle almost if there is a divet in the bearings right in the middle. So going to order new bearings

If that is your bike in the avatar you would benefit from a fork brace too, the front fenders have one built into them. Without one you are subject to all sorts of flex issues

Exactly what Pete said.........these forks need a brace otherwise they flex like a wet noodle.........

Back