77 frame vs 80 frame questions

member11511

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is any difference between a 77 and 80 xs 400 frame? I know the bikes were a bit different but I feel like the frame hasn't changed inbetween those years.

How often does a bike frame actually change right? I wouldn't be surprised if the sportster frame is the same as it was 20 years ago. Anyways any help would be appercaited.

I'm trying to mount offbran saddlebags and i found a set I like that a user said he was using the orginal mounting brackets off a 77 for them. I'm trying to figure out I hide 77 brackets will work on my 80

First, I have never tried to mount '77 bags on an '80, but IMHO with a little work and some adaptation they would work, BUT that said..... that is way too much for those bags.... you can probably pick up a set (maybe for an '80) at a swap meet for $100/$150 or less. Those are too much.... especially if you have to adapt them..... Big D-

In most situations I would be an outcast ... here I am merely normal ...

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing on the price. There are other generic containers that would take the same amount of fab work to get on but be nicer and much cheaper.

Thanks for the input guys. I actually found an orginal King queen seat and it solved my problems. Now I can just strap what I need to the back of the queen portion.

I'm planning a coming of age journey this summer. Well coming of age as in I'm riding my xs 400 an hour away to camp by myself for a weekend. I know it's a far cry from the 70s and easy rider.

But I'm excited to see if I can do it. I want to see if my repairs I did last year will hold up yah know? To prove to myself I can do it.

And if anyone is interested there is 1 King /queen seat left on eBay like this. They are factory originals and STILL have Yamaha stickers on them from the factory.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 398
.... as our master, Pee Wee, has taught us.... any adventure can become a big adventure....

In most situations I would be an outcast ... here I am merely normal ...

Back