'77 XS360 Barn find

The type of charging systems these bikes have need a battery to make power. You would have to change it to a pma system to make your setup work. There are threads in the forum on this subject.

Looked into the Velleman ignition.
Some pages call it a hybrid ignition or ignition amplifier. Keeps the points and mechanical advancer but supposedly does provide stronger sparks.

The main benefit seems to be prolonging points life. Not bad for the price. Much cheaper than any other ignition mods.

Still unfamiliar with the Velleman ignition but it looks like you'd need one unit per breaker. Two in total.

Long time since I worked on the bike, eventually got stuck on the ignition. Also added 2 more daughters to the family, so was and am a bit busy :) I also bought a second xs360 barnfind, for spare parts/spare engine.

So update;
I cleaned the carbs as best I could (ultrasonic and dismantling, spraying with carb cleaner)
I set the points, after looking at some pictures I found out they were set upside down.
Also adjusted spark gap, as 1 cilinder was misfiring all the time.

I reinstalled the old condenser, and found out what you guys meant with the magnet not working.
after a bit of trial and error, and setting the lefthand points gap a bit, I can see both points sparking.
I think I know the workings of the voltage regulator now, after looking at old yammie wiring diagrams. It switches off the field coil/rerouting postive voltage to frame, thus having the ac generator not working and letting the voltage drop till its below "setpoint" am I correct?

I now have the following symptoms;
Idle was very rough, and stalled the bike after 10 secs. I have got to set idle/airscrew all the way down to have it idle a bit, instead of dying straightaway. Pilot fuel mixture is 4 turns out on both sides. I counted my 2nd bikes turns, they were at 9 out. Manual I have doesnt say much.
I cannot rev the bike, if I rev it stalls immediately.
After a few stalls, It roars like a beast, even to the point that I janked my starter cables, connecting to the battery off (temporary setup). Could use tips!

Sparkplugs are both black/sooty (not wet) so rich fuel mixture?

My intake rubbers are cracked on the outside, but inside looks good. Ordered new ones anyway.

My first time ever starting/rebuilding a bike, so all tips welcome! Assume I know nothing, I have to look up everything in a book!

Still unfamiliar with the Velleman ignition but it looks like you'd need one unit per breaker. Two in total.
I wanted to go with Velleman, and ordered it. they are cheap, about 10€ a kit, but have to be assembled/soldered. for now I just want a starting motorcycle so I chucked them in a box, maybe next winter :)

Im missing the right hand side spacer for the rear wheel, does anyone have pictures how it should go together? I have a disk brake.

So, fixed the electrics proper, installed new carb boots, airfilters. Changed seal of carb, cleaned carb again.
It starts and idles now, and keeps on idling, so definitely improved.

Symptoms;

Idle is a little high
Idle goes up an down in revs
Turning air fuel mixture richer makes the exhaust pop
After 2 mins of running my spark plugs are blackened/dry
(Indicating lean)?!

If I turn the throttle it stalls immediately.
Any tips?

Have you sinced the carbs yet? Also revving could be a vacuum leak maybe ? Stock set up ?

Blackened and dry I don't think is lean as grey is lean if I remember right but could be wrong.

These bikes seem finicky at times but when set up run pretty good.

Didn't sync the carbs yet, should do that. You're right about black plugs, it's too rich.

I don't think I have a vacuum leak since I changed the boots for new ones.

Running with pods, didn't know it would affect the CV carbs that much, read on another forum I should tape the pods a bit and go with a higher mains jet, or revert to stock air filter.. looks better with pods though :/

Back