77 xs400 second chance

cbrfxr67

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Friend brought this over to try and get it running and if it ran ok, to make it a somewhat reliable little bike for him to cruise back and forth to work on. Story was that it'd been sitting in a storage for 18 years.
IMAG7665.jpg

First off, this crappy fuse block,...
IMAG7667.jpg

ordered a generic one
IMAG7706.jpg

wired in
IMAG7708.jpg

got power
IMAG7707.jpg

super cheap forks off ebay that are in great shape!
IMAG7728.jpg

poor bike
IMAG7751.jpg

sad
IMAG7752.jpg

super cheap seat off ebay! the old pan was rusted out so this was a good score
IMAG7754.jpg

swap out forks
IMAG7787.jpg

IMAG7788.jpg

old ones rusted badly
IMAG7789.jpg

new cheap grips
IMAG7801.jpg

these forks seem a tad longer or maybe they're not as saggy as the old ones
IMAG7827.jpg

fixed this crappy signal
IMAG7828.jpg

picked up some cheap intake boots off ebay - these are cheap for a reason! the vacuum tubes are not tight as you can pull them out with little effort. I ended up screwing a small bolt into each one. Garbage.
Going to order some better ones before this is over,....
IMAG7846.jpg

slowly coming together
IMAG7847.jpg

fun with carbs
IMAG7848.jpg

ordered some replacement air filters and was waiting for them. too impatient to wait so stuck on some pods i had lying around
IMAG7854.jpg

pod
IMAG7855.jpg

this gave me stress headache. i didnt have the cable and ended up making the end piece after finally finding a cable that would work. next to find was that the fork i had, was for disc brakes and i had to swap the lower to have the correct drum brake stopper. fun fun
IMAG7875.jpg

carbs were giving me a pita so was going to try these. Canned this idea after finding the cause of my high rev problem was the pilot screw needles were broken off in the carb body. After I got them out all was smooth sailing. THAT was a lesson in frustration for me also. (i searched all over the place for high rev syndrome and after being certain i didn't have an intake leak double checked to find the broke needles blocking the passage)
IMAG7983.jpg

That's about where I'm at now. Sorry for lengthy initial post but after I couldn't find a 'solved' thread for my high rev issue I thought I should post concerning the pilot screw needles blocking the passages. I think that's likely an easy thing to do, as in screwing them in too tight and fubar-ing their purpose.

Still to go is rear drum brake and tire and,....maybe some clean up. I wanted to keep it looking like a survivor instead of shining it up too much.

Please any opinions, critiques or tips welcome. Thanks for letting me be a part of this great group!

The bike you have there is a 78 2-E model. You can use those fork tubes if they are off a sohc xs400 model. Just keep the drum wheel fork lowers so your wheel fits like it should. https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/ This is a good site for parts/assembly diagrams.

Lol major! I gave it a half handed chance to work & cut it out of there.

Got it out of the garage with new back tire. Not even ashamed I cut that petrified tire off! Was cussing a storm.
IMAG8230.jpg

IMAG8231.jpg

IMAG8233.jpg

IMAG8234.jpg

I can't believe how loud it is for a 400. Need to tune it a bit. Couple small things to clean and tighten up and hopefully sending it home. First experience with an xs and makes me want to find another one and fix it. Missed one on cl for $200 a week back.

Last edited:
IMAG8267-1.jpg

just a shot of my cobbled battery box. I hacked a 900rr tray down and riveted on some mounts. Actually came out pretty sturdy and I was able to chunk that old metal, rusty, tetanus ready, box in the scrap pile.

IMAG8269-1.jpg

headlight acting janky & opened it up to see what's going on there. Ive never seen a bulb as the whole assembly so that was kind of cool. I want to fit an led somehow. I have some parts in basket cases and might have a donor to use. Really don't want to change the original styling,....

That's the exact problem I'm having right now. I actually came on here to get the wiring diagrams because I just got a new universal fit led headlight assembly off ebay. If I get it all working I'll take pictures.

IMAG8319.jpg

'bulb' with rust dirt inside,... I ordered an led replacement everything but the more I thought about it, the more the led look is not going to be 'right' for a survivor bike. I used drill press and hole saw to cut out the bulb part, then cleaned up with carbide burr. Epoxied in a bulb holder from parts bin, and stuck an amber h4 halogen bulb in it.
IMAG8324.jpg

Ordered an h4 led to swap out the halogen. I'm not going to say how much time I spent on the wiring. Almost shamed on that one.
dunno_white.gif

Changed oil filter too but it didn't look too bad,...next i need to go for an extended ride to see if any issues pop up.

Back