1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

78 XS400 Mach1 Cafe Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Spitfire_X24, Oct 30, 2020.

1. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto XS400 Member

Looks great! What is your paint process?

Spitfire_X24 likes this.
  2. Spitfire_X24

Spitfire_X24 XS400 Enthusiast

Fix any dents and scratches up to 400 grit, clean with a wax and grease remover, then prime using a high buildup primer, sand up to 1500 grit, clean using a wax and grease remover, spray on the flat black, I used Duplicolour, then once dry, scuffed using a gray scuff pad. Then I taped off the stripes using 3M 1/4 inch clean edge tape, it's almost like a pinstripe tape, and then I sprayed the blue. Once that was semi dry, i removed the tape and let it dry the rest of the way. Then I used Spraymax Matte Clearcoat 3680065 and while I was at first not happy with how matte it looked, over the course of 24 hours as it cured it came out quite nice.
    This clearcoat is supposed to be very resistant to discoloration due to fuel spills and such.
    The key is patience, and I had some places where a bit more patience would have improved the final outcome, but lesson learnt.

3. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto XS400 Member

Awesome. I've used Duplicolor in the past with great results but your tank looks better than anything I've done for sure.

4. Spitfire_X24

Thank you very much.
    I found a site (motorcyclehabit) that has some good info, found him on Instagram some time ago and he's got a lot of good helpful info there.

5. Spitfire_X24

Hi guys,
    Not much progress here as of late, with the weather dropping below -30 and staying there for a few weeks, I don't want to weld, grind and paint with the garage doors closed, makes the house "smell funny". LOL, happy wife, happy life. Anyways, it looks like it is going to warm up a bit through out the rest of the week, so i'll take the time to get the rest of the frame modifications done and the bits and pieces painted so I can begin reassembly.