79 rigid- slow build style

mctwisty

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Figured i should start a build thread, instead of just lurking around. i have two '79s sitting in my garage, one was given to me, and the other is a build for a friends wife. i worked a deal where i fix his extensive, and ever growing collection of bikes, and he tattoos me (he owns a shop) and he gave me the bike I'm building now.
I recieved the bike stock, with a blown head and base gasket- replaced those (im a Toyota tech) and started cutting up the frame-

I had ordered the VoodooVintage rigid kit-

and i tacked everything up. Here is how it sits now-

clearly ready to ride, eh?
My direction on this build is, so far, clear as mud- but i have picked up a few necessities here and there. Will also be a slow build, as the Lady will be squeezing out my third spawn in Jan, so time is in short supply.
Right now, I think my biggest issue will be coming up with a rear wheel, as i want spokes, a drum, and I have ~an extra 1" to play with (insert any number of plays on that here) so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
well, I've made some progress, got my 16'' rear wheel, thanks to NA3S, and smacked out the lower rear mounts. I have another thread about the uppers, and the distance from the backbone to the mount points is exactly the length of an XS400 con-rod, so perhaps i can do something with that, as I have a couple spares.

have to get a rear sprocket and tire, probably used on the tire- just for mock up, until I am 100% sure this wheel is the way I want to go. Also, I think I'll have to pick up a watercooled TIG rig- this job is really pushing the limits of my cheapo.

Friend let me raid his attic, came up with a 21" spoke wheel from an old YZ.. slowly but surely... at this rate, I'll be done in another 10 years- give or take..

no instructions, but it's pretty intuative. if you dont have a jig, you should really look into how others have done rigids without one- also, it will be ~1" wider at the axle tabs, so plan on having an axle made.

Thanks. I bought a jig from Trav about a year ago. But dave from voodoo vintage emailed me a few instruction on how to assemble it without the jig which is very simple. Guess Ill have to wait and use it when I upgrade and build a 650.

That's some nice looking welding! I too subscribe to the "slow build style". I'm 4 years in and still on the engine rebuild. You're getting there pretty quickly though!

I'm excited to see how this goes

Hows the build coming along? Ive got a few more ideas to throw at my build. same frame as you. I been on the road for a couple months now. Love this frame.

Attachments

• Snapchat-7970043803132833078.jpg
    Snapchat-7970043803132833078.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 404
it's coming along, a little bit. got my controls mounted, threw together a handlebar at work. have a couple other bikes going now, new baby- well, 9mos. new job, a lot going on. mostly i just need to mount the tank, coils, make front and rear brake stays, and wire.

Back