79 XS 400 make over. (Slow)

I have seen floats come out of 40+ year old carbs with rot holes in them. Even the aluminum float posts destroyed from old gas left in them.

I didn't think Mike's had any that fit our bikes?
Only will work with 80-82 sohc xs400. I think also the 82-84 dohc xs400 as the choke plungers are the same. I don't know of any place to get new choke boots for the 77-79 xs400.

I will try used ones on feabay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170722-201012.jpg
    Screenshot_20170722-201012.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 275
I'm going to need a 12.7mm offset sprocket.
No clue on how to get one as of now.

You know a good machinist ? I am sure for the right price someone could make it........man these bikes can just take your budget and toss it out the window......

You know a good machinist ? I am sure for the right price someone could make it........man these bikes can just take your budget and toss it out the window......
So hard to get any info on these bikes like the splines 25x21x5 took sometime to find.
I think that will be my best bet get one made. When I was looking for one I was sure I saw one for a RD400. The RD400 should have the same spline?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170723-202656.jpg
    Screenshot_20170723-202656.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 266
Got some work done today. The swingarm was a pain in the ass! Had to cut it out with torches.

Attachments

• 20170724_165445.jpg
    20170724_165445.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Have any pics? Whats the issues?
I'm waiting for my bronze to come in so I can make the bushings. I'm not a hundred percent sure what my issues are right now. Chain size is going to be one of them with a offset sprocket (I would like to use a 520) Also this swing arm is awfully large to fit in the frame it was only eight and a half inches. The swing arm was tight in the bandit 400 to begin with the chain rides really close to the edge of the swingarm pictures to come soon.

Here is a picture of the GSF 400 swingarm you can see the plastic guide goes right to the edge of the swingarm. I just shaved a quarter inch off make the plastic stick out further then the swing arm.
$(KGrHqJ,!ioFBVGsVYnCBQeE8YSHRw--60_1.JPG

Working on taking tabs off today this is harder and will take long then I was thinking. A few more days should get most of them off.20170802_170340.jpg

Working on taking tabs off today this is harder and will take long then I was thinking. A few more days should get most of them off.View attachment 30158

A few days...... are you using a hacksaw :D you should have them off in a few hours. I pulled all of mine of with the same kind of grinder you have on the table. Didn't take long at all.

A few days...... are you using a hacksaw :D you should have them off in a few hours. I pulled all of mine of with the same kind of grinder you have on the table. Didn't take long at all.
I have two hrs into it now and that's all I got done. I think I have 6 hrs to be completed.

Back