'79 xs400 rough>reliable>cafe 'Scarlett'

Looks good:thumbsup: I think the H4 bulbs are plug and play. But not too sure as my two bikes have stock bulbs in them.

Apologies for bumping this...I sent a PM as well. Did you run into any issues after narrowing the frame due to the rear suspension mounting at a slightly inward angle with regards to the top mount being in a different location?

Apologies for bumping this...I sent a PM as well. Did you run into any issues after narrowing the frame due to the rear suspension mounting at a slightly inward angle with regards to the top mount being in a different location?

I haven't yet noticed anything. But is haven't rode it either so I can't say for sure with weight on it.

There was another XS400 that did the same thing...I think SpinCycle did it? They had no issues that I heard of.

So a quick update as I am running out the door...

Had a very productive day. She runs!! I got to drive my bike for the 2nd time since driving it home after buying it.

I will do a more in-depth recap later but for now a few quick things.

1. There is fuel in the vacuum line of the petcock. Bad right?
2. How do I adjust the idle mixture screws the 3 turns when they have those plastic caps on them?
3. My headlight wasn't on at all. Haven't had a lot of time to diagnose the problem, but where is the best place to start?
4. Very excited! :bike:

Thank you for all the help fellow XS'ers! Long live the forum!

2ndRide_zps6b9ed433.jpg

Drove it some more yesterday!

Found the rear brake not giving me any stopping power so I took a look:
Calliper_zps903b07ed.jpg

Does something look not quite right here? Shouldn't there be a rubber gasket of some sort?

1. Yes, sounds like a hole in the diaphragm
Diaphragm of the petcock? If I press on the control that switches between Prime, On and Res it spills fuel out everywhere. I'm assuming that is not normal either.

The piston is missing the dust boot and the piston looks to have a lot of rust on it. Sounds like your petcock need to be rebuilt.

If you have pitting in the travel area of the seal you will need to got another piston. Yes, I would get a rebuild kit for it. With brakes there are no cutting corners:wink2:

I have the same signals. Can you tell me how you wired them? Not looking at them right now but I believe they come with one black and one white wire per light correct?

Bit of a long post, but I would love some valuable insight!

Seeing as how I haven't ridden a motorcycle before this one, I asked a more experienced friend to take it for a longer ride and give me a debrief. A few things I noticed and he mentioned:
1. He is a bit heavier than me, but still, I think I want stiffer and/or longer rear shocks. The ride feels a bit mushy on the rear. While he was riding he hit a bit of a bump and the rear wheel grazed a cross beam under my seat!

2. He said the valves sounded out. I told him that I set them to spec just before riding. Then I remembered that the PO had said that his valves went out of spec fast as well. Is there something that would cause this?

3. He also said he heard a high pitched whirring sound coming from the front. No idea what that would be, I will need time to explore.

4. He said that the rear brake worked decently (which is good). Obviously they provide 1/3 the stopping power the front does, but when I was driving I felt it should be doing more (but again, I'm unexperienced).

Aside from the above issues, I still need to:
1. Check the headlight issue. Bulb is fine, fuse is fine. The headlight comes on for a while, but I noticed it was off when my friend was driving it.

2. (maybe a stupid question) how mandatory is it that I rejet the carbs when I'm using pods on the H-stack? I would love to wait till next season when I replace the exhaust and maybe put the pods directly on the carbs.

3. Calliper rebuild.

4. Petcock rebuild. I bought a petcock rebuild from Parts-n-more but it really felt like it was for the wrong bike. I emailed and asked if they sent the wrong one, but the insisted. I was thinking I might replace it with a non-vacuum?

1. Check the charging system and headlight relay.
2. Nothing is mandatory! But if you install pods and don't adjust the fueling, you may do major engine damage like overheating, burned exhaust valves, or melted pistons. Pods directly on the carbs can be a nightmare - keep the H-pipe!
3. Brakes are critical, don't put this off if it needs attention.
4. Vacuum operated petcocks are great when they are working properly, I wouldn't want a street bike without one.

Last edited:
2. Nothing is mandatory! But if you install pods and don't adjust the fueling, you may do major engine damage like overheating, burned exhaust valves, or melted pistons. Pods directly on the carbs can be a nightmare - keep the H-pipe!

Okay well, here is the age-old question. I have never rejetted before, using pods on the H-pipe with stock exhaust, where would be a good place to start? And any sage-like advice on how to do it properly would be appreciated!

Back