'79 xs400 rough>reliable>cafe 'Scarlett'

H4 is worth it, just not theirs! There are plenty of other sources for motorcycle H4 headlights. If you have time, check out automotive swap meets, or motorcycle swap meets if you can find one. Most Harley's had H4 headlights, and they are often replaced with LED headlights or silly little 3 1/2" lights.

It's been a crazy few weeks. First of all I finally did my Road Test for my fully bike license. It is a relief to have that out of the way.

Secondly there was the whole Air Filter Fiasco (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14115) that I finally resolved with some UNI 2-Stage filters.
photo%201_zpsrackoqnm.jpg

photo%202_zpswuyapyov.jpg

From the 2nd pic you can see that my seat tapers to the front and I do end up having some contact with the filters when I am a stop. Seeing as how I've oiled the filters, I don't want to get excess crap on my pants while driving, so I think I will take the red filter off and clean the oil out of it. The inner foam has oil so I think that should be sufficient.

I also adjusted the clutch as per the post here (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120532&postcount=5) which has made a big difference with my shifting. Very happy about it.

Next I need to add my Counteract Balance Beads to my tires. I had tried earlier in a rush but got frustrated in how slowly the beads went into my valve stem. Any pointers with that?

Did you ever get the h4 headlight done? I had an issue getting a light for my 1977 dt400 I used a Harley Davidson 5-3/4" light it was the same depth as the sealed beam that came on the bike. Now I have a 55w and 65w headlight. Awesome upgrade. $10 on ebay I think.
P.s. I also converted my bike from 6v to 12v.

Next I need to add my Counteract Balance Beads to my tires. I had tried earlier in a rush but got frustrated in how slowly the beads went into my valve stem. Any pointers with that?

Check out my experience with those balancing beads here.

If you read to the end of the first post you'll see it is easier and faster to get them into the tube if you do it before you put the tube in the tire.

Did you ever get the h4 headlight done? I had an issue getting a light for my 1977 dt400 I used a Harley Davidson 5-3/4" light it was the same depth as the sealed beam that came on the bike. Now I have a 55w and 65w headlight. Awesome upgrade. $10 on ebay I think.
P.s. I also converted my bike from 6v to 12v.

This has been back burnered a bit, but it is coming back to the front line. I don't want to stress my charging system too much, would 55w/65w be to strong? I understand I will have to swap LED signals and tail. Did you simply search Harley H4 5-3/4" in ebay and grab the best deal?

Check out my experience with those balancing beads here.

If you read to the end of the first post you'll see it is easier and faster to get them into the tube if you do it before you put the tube in the tire.

I just came across that post! I will definitely be using the sage-like wisdom! Thanks.

I did a quick search but didn't find much in terms of the whole "drill 4 holes in exhaust" for a SOHC.

I plan to replace the exhaust on my bike maybe next year, but in the interm I wanted a little bit more noise from the machine and thought I might drill the 4 1/4" holes in the back plate. I assume it will affect my jetting?

Drilling the exhaust -I did the same with a CX500 I had, gave a bit more bark but really didn't seem to change the powerband or jetting much. But I was running the stock airbox...

This has been back burnered a bit, but it is coming back to the front line. I don't want to stress my charging system too much, would 55w/65w be to strong? I understand I will have to swap LED signals and tail. Did you simply search Harley H4 5-3/4" in ebay and grab the best deal?

I just came across that post! I will definitely be using the sage-like wisdom! Thanks.
No I just knew I needed a 5-3/4" headlight so I grab the one that was not so deep. The seller measured everything for me so it was great. I also tried to swap to led's but the flashers I have tried are not any good, cheap Chinese flashers. I am going to try and build an led tail light. I did the head light a while back but it was not as focused as the 55w/65w.

P.s. I have a xs400 I have not touched in about a year. Can't wait to get to it.

I did a quick search but didn't find much in terms of the whole "drill 4 holes in exhaust" for a SOHC.

I plan to replace the exhaust on my bike maybe next year, but in the interm I wanted a little bit more noise from the machine and thought I might drill the 4 1/4" holes in the back plate. I assume it will affect my jetting?

Don't drill them!!!! :eek: If you want more sound sell the stock ones and get different pipes. :wink2:

I wanted to diagnose my strange idle issues. I've read several places that I might have a vacuum leak in my carb set up. I bought some starter fluid and was planning on trying to track that down. My plan was to start at the jugs and test the intake boots first then work towards the air filter.

Does that sound like it might work?

Okay. I thought it might've been a bit brash. I will wait until I am ready to go on a real exhaust!

The stock setup was designed for the best all around hp and torque. A good aftermarket will usually improve one or two ranges of the power band. Most cheap "universal" sets just make the bike louder and will hurt a good amount of the power band. :wink2: Spraying around the carbs and boot will help find leaks. Is your ignition all up to snuff? That can cause a lot of running issues also.

Is your ignition all up to snuff? That can cause a lot of running issues also.

How would one check the snuff-ness of their ignition?

I have noticed that there is definitely a 'sweet spot' for when I turn my key to start the bike. If I turn too firmly or too far the oil light turns off and the bike won't start. I just back the key up a hair and the light pops back on and she will start no worries.

The stock setup was designed for the best all around hp and torque. A good aftermarket will usually improve one or two ranges of the power band. Most cheap "universal" sets just make the bike louder and will hurt a good amount of the power band. :wink2:

Yeah I kind of figured that cheap mufflers won't add any value. My ultimate plan would be getting a 2-1 with a good muffler, like Cone Engineering.

Okay I will take a look at that this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428717071.278487.jpg
On another note:
I've noticed a bit of golden brown tinting on my headers, would that be because I am running to hot? Most recent work has been installing my new UNI filters.

Back