'80 XS400 whiteout

My impression was that potentially the size difference is within the capacity for the caps/screw heads, to absorb the difference for .5 inch on both sides, is an inch, after all. Potentially (never had to think about that.)

But I think that is for mikes rims not stock xs400 ones. :shrug:

That's the part that's got me unsure. What's the difference? Lace patterns?

Also, the ebay guy from Thailand has them for 18" front and 18" rear and they are chrome plated. Wanted to powder coat them though so I'll have to think about it.

The dimples and holes on the mikes rims are in the exact same spots as our takasagi (or however its spelled) rims.

Also if you powder coat the spokes, good luck getting them back through the hub holes, its a tight clearance.

That's good to hear. I've emailed Mikesxs asking and haven't heard back yet. I emailed the canadian site first (XS650direct) and was no help, I think they are just sales staff though.

Yes, the powder coat thickness was a concern of mine as well. Plus I can't powder coat the threaded end of the spoke so it would be 98% color and then have a few threads sticking out that aren't coated. Not sure if I'm going with the chrome ones yet or not. Really wanted to do white spokes though...

I've seen people powder coat the rims assembled, after truing, which works fine till you hit a pothole and need to adjust.

Go with stainless, they look good and are easy to keep clean.

Also, I wouldn't buy the mikes spokes simply for the reason that they say they are too long.

That's an option if you want it a single color, but like you mention if you need to adjust you're in trouble.

I'm not doing a single color for the whole hub, spoke, rim assembly so that would be a nightmare, or near impossible, to tape off if I did it assembled.

Anodizing the spokes may be an option as well. I'll have to look into that.

You can only Anodize aluminum :(
Well titanium can be done too. If you found someone to make you titanium spokes, I'd be jealous!

Right. Well that's a no-go.

If they were titanium I don't think I'd ruin them by coating. Though heating them and giving them that bluish tinge the exhausts get may look good.

MikesXS confirmed those spokes will work on the stock XS400 18" rims and hubs and any other 18" rim as all 18" rims have the same pattern no matter the width.

Well that's 'sort of' true. There are plenty of other 18" rims with different patterns, different amount of spokes, etc. Different hubs with different hole spacings, etc etc. Also, those spokes will not work on disk XS hubs.

I thought that was odd as well but here is the email from them.

"All 18" rims are the same drill pattern and dimensions no matter the rim width, the spokes are different lengths and angled to fit the hub."

Perhaps they were just referring to all the 18" XS rims? But like you say they won't work with the disk hubs so.... I'm not sure?

The xs400 never came with a disc front wheel. Maybe they meant just the drum ones. But I would think they have never tried them on a xs400 rim only there rims. Has anyone actually used them on a xs400 drum wheel without issues?

That's good to know about Mikes. I've absolutely zero experience with spoked rims so excuse my ignorance on that matter. I'm probably going with the chrome spokes from ebay but haven't ordered yet.

I did order some nice looking stock pistons and rods off ebay as well as a few other pieces. Need to order the rings and gasket set and I'll be able to start putting the motor back together.

However, here are some pics of just how dirty the valves and head were.

IMG_1754_zpsplxmcjot.jpg

IMG_1756_zpsis1wqfs3.jpg

In the meantime I did the backbone and started on the side tubes. Got one side done but want to tie the rear in first before I cut the other side. I was planning to bend the factory rear tubes back into the new backbone but I may have to chop them and bend some new tubing as the stock shock mounts and subframe look like a mess.

IMG_1760_zpsxm5w86vx.jpg

IMG_1764_zpscgsdyhe9.jpg

IMG_1763_zpsvfhmx1rf.jpg

IMG_1765_zpst57lze3o.jpg

IMG_1766_zpsxnmxicfc.jpg

IMG_1774_zpsnitf2ahp.jpg

And I threw a seat pan on just for fun. Won't be going with a pan like that though.

IMG_1773_zpsflq0jbxf.jpg

IMG_1772_zps5q1uaafw.jpg

Back