'80 XS400 whiteout

Finished tying the tubes in together. I'm not sure if I like the rear tubes or not. I wanted to add a down bend to them but I don't know if I'll make some or not. Next is the backbone brace/top motor mount and cutting the rear off and bending up a hoop.

IMG_1781_zps4ae9ao47.jpg

IMG_1786_zpsu161jxct.jpg

IMG_1782_zpsofwrq7rt.jpg

You can just add photos to the thread, with out photobucket. The system will try to make them a smaller file, if you all you have is the super megapixel file. just only do 2 to 3 of them at a time. the system is designed for 5 to 6 of them, but that can be too much, if you trying to do large files.
Tobie

PS-- what I meant if you didn't know, click on Advance, (under this screen) and then you will see the paperclip in the toolbar. (on the computer version (win7/8) phone versions, I dont know what options you have. What I tend to do, is I will view the image, and hit the print screen (alt+Prnt Scrn), then open up MS Paint, then paste it. and save it, (what ever default is, its fine) Then I don't have to worry about max pixel size, or the conversion time taking too long for complete converstion, pushing into a timeout for the ttl. good luck

Is there an issue with photobucket? I upload to photobucket because I share these updates on multiple forums so it saves me uploading multiple times.

I just added some bent tubing to my build. Needed to fix previous owners mess. I like the way it looks. Have a gander I added some photos of what it looks like.

I like what you did with yours. Looks much much better than the way you got it.

I'm also looking for a set of exhaust flanges if anyone has some. And pipes too, no need for mufflers though, if anyone has some they want to sell.

I can check but I think I got a set of just headers and both styles of flanges. It's snowing like a Bullocks out here but I will look as soon as I can. If they will work for u, we can figure something out.

Found some exhaust but need the 4 half-circle flanges that go around the pipe. Anyone have a set?

Not paying what Yamaha wants for them. If I can't find some used ones I'm thinking of just making some as a last resort.

Got the engine mostly back together. Lapped the valves, 1 seat had some rust but got it out mostly. Filled the chambers with water and no leaks yet so that is good. Sandblaster keeps blowing holes in the hose so I'm going to get some today so I can finish up the cases for powder.

Got a bunch of parts in but still waiting for a few things like signals, spokes, grips, levers etc.

Also decided to change the rear section of the frame since I didn't like it before. Soon as I get the motor all buttoned up

Went with Avon Roadriders but a little saddened by how narrow they are for 90 and 100/90's compared to some Kenda's I've got.

IMG_1789_zpslzv9gi1j.jpg

Where did you get the ignition switch. Ebay? Those pegs are nice! Fit well too. Just had to grind off the old rivet and used pins from a old set of dirtbike pegs I had. Can't wait to see the parts I stalled now!

This bike is for my wife, she's not one to throw the bike around corners. Especially after watching me sling my track bike around the track she's just out for fun. She's going from a CBR125 with dinky tire's so I was hoping to get something a little meatier on this one.

The switch is from ebay, a whopping $2.40. Though the switch doesn't line up with the OFF and IGNITION dots but rather with the actual words. Not a big deal to me as you can't take the key out when the ignition is on anyway.

The headlamp is 4" deep by 5-1/4" wide. Hi and low beam. Got it from Kaspcomoto here in Ontario. http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/jbm-002-b.htm

Just need to set valve clearances and install sight glass and kick seal and the motor is done.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing (hopefully) the rear of the frame and then having a friend TIG it. Then I can finish up the rest before powder coat.

IMG_1792_zpsfizhrqln.jpg

IMG_1790_zpso1dvgu0e.jpg

Did you powder coat the top end too? Heard a lot of people say that heat is an issue in the motor if you use it or the wrong type/thickness. 500* VHT or pj1 paint is the recommended type.

I looked into beforehand and read that powdercoat doesn't affect it any more than paint. Radiates heat the same as paint at the same thickness. HD cylinders are powdered now even.

But no, the crankcase, jugs, head and valve cover are VHT 900* brake caliper paint that is resistant to chemicals. Baked them at 200 for an hour (not the crankcase though). I was going to powder them but many areas where faraday would be an issue and I'd end up with a very uneven coat and especially heavy near the ends of the fins. So I saved myself some trouble and painted.

Everything black on the engine itself, except for bolts, is just the paint.

Ok. Jugs are not the issues I was hearing but the head where all the heat is.

Yesterday I redid the rear section of the frame and bent a rear hoop with the oxy torch and some guessing. Wanted it to flow with the taillight I'm using and it came out pretty good and symmetrical. Today I'll be adding gussets and a crossbrace.

20150421_201520_zpsxpmtnvkk.jpg

20150421_201527_zpsz7jjlpvx.jpg

20150421_201626_zpsxyphmmvl.jpg

20150421_201645_zpslh3pmlzp.jpg

20150421_201825_zpsznjhq7xe.jpg

20150421_201837_zpsyqpflsbl.jpg

Turn signal since it's integrated.

20150421_201923_zpsfp4ihv44.jpg

Back