'81 Budget Build

Started to take some things off the bike today.

photo_1.jpg

Not a whole lot. But there really wasn't a whole lot to begin with.
Next steps are to take the big leap and pull the engine.

I would like to lighten the bike. I need to research what I can and cannot chop off.
First idea of something to remove is circled below. On the other side it's not connected to anything important. On the right side theres a brake stopper of sorts. I think something else can be fashioned in its place so I can lose the excess metal. Its all interesting. More research is needed.

photo_2.jpg

In other news. My manual came in. Been waiting on it.

Minus motor removal. My next hurdle will be fabing the bike so i can get all things welded and fitted before paint. I might be a bit to ambitious in wantin the bike to be painted by next week. We'll see....

Last edited:
The little spots may come faster than you think. I left my tank unpainted in a buddies garage for a week. No moisture on it or anything and after just one week there was quite a bit of notable rust spots. I would coat it as soon as you can even if it is a cheap rattle clear coat.

Posted via Mobile

Just ordered the things needed for my bars. Here's my receipt of the build so far....

XS400 $400.00
Manual $25.85 eBay
Carb Boots $33.00 eBay
Brake & Clutch Lever/Grips/Throttle $70.18 DCC
Total

$520.00

It's not to shabby. Just dropped a money order for $720.00 for some parts on my XS650. I'm hemorrhaging money but it's for a good cause :D.

Last edited:
Damn bud you might not like to hear this but you can download a manual on this site for the total cost of $0. Maybe they didnt have your model.

Good grief, a Haynes manual!

I despise them so much I won't waste a match to light them on fire. Do NOT trust anything you read in that manual. They can't even get published spec's right...

Damn bud you might not like to hear this but you can download a manual on this site for the total cost of $0. Maybe they didnt have your model.

For some things the I've had to depend on scanned copies online for things I couldn't find. For others, my manuals. I prefer the physical book over digital copies.

Good grief, a Haynes manual!

I despise them so much I won't waste a match to light them on fire. Do NOT trust anything you read in that manual. They can't even get published spec's right...

I use both Clymer and Haynes manuals. On my XS650 I use both. They each have their own attributes.

To keep from taking away from my build, Im removing the image of the manual.

Took the shocks off of her yesterday. 12.5" eye to eye. Gonna hit the salvage yard to see if I can find lower ones.

Went out to the garage to try and do a little mockup work and what have you. I immediatly felt overwhelmed. Im very capable of over thinking. I feel like the bikes hips, the widest part of the frame up top where you sit. Is to wide. It's probably no wider than anyones elses. But my eyes tell my brain that it's to wide. It has to be wide enough for me to stick my boney ass on. But to modify that, would require more fabrication than I can fathom. Not much to people who can fabricate, but a ton of work to those who cant. I have zero tools to bend, shape or even weld metal. And at the same time I dont want to pay someone to do it all for me. Im talking outloud here, so bare with me. I'll do my usual, give it a few days and sort my thoughts attitude and get back at it.

In the mean time I got a few things in the mail. My spring compressor for work on my XS650 and the rest for the 400. My grips, throttle, clutch and brake levers. Im pleased.

photo_7.jpg

To top it all off I've finally giver 'her' a name. Olivia

I like the name!! You got a pic of your 650? Do you mind throwing it up on here? I know its not a 650 forum, but pics are always cool!

I like the name!! You got a pic of your 650? Do you mind throwing it up on here? I know its not a 650 forum, but pics are always cool!

I'll be able to throw a pic up soon. Right now the 650 or 'Pippa' as I call her, is still sitting stock. Her engine completely ripped apart. My crank is being shipped to Hugh from Hugh's Handbuilt to be rephased. It's actually the last part I need back before the engine gets buttoned back up and the frame gets chopped in half. Pippa will be rigid, she'll be my go to girl for my long hauls on the road. Since Olivia was pretty well ready to go I decided to bum rush getting her finished so I could get some ride time before Pippa and I hit the road.

Dig the name! Also, I like the shorty levers you picked. I just shaved mine. As for narrowing the frame, I know the guys at spin cycle industries narrowed their xs400. You can check out their blog/site for more info. And again, if I can help with a frame loop, just let me know.

Not much happening as of lately. I've been a real asshole at work so I decided to jet to Austin for a few days to take my mind off things.

Have plans to hack off excess metal tomorrow. And will be rebuilding my forks Tuesday as well as disassembling my carbs.

A bit of the progress I made.

Lost a little weight. Still more to come off.

photo_1.jpg

Front tire off in preparation for the fork rebuild.

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

I have to shave more off her body. Perhaps finding a different tool to do so. Ill snap a pic so you guys can even tell if Im using the right tool for this metal work.

After I cut some more excess off I'm gonna start to tighten up her hips. I think by and inch on each side.

I need to decide how short I want the forks as well.

Rebuilt my forks today. Had a heart to heart with my buddy on how much I wanted to put in to Olivia right now. Get her up and running so I have something to ride while my XS650 is in purgatory? Or go all out and do her up, potentially dumping in more than I had anticipated while leaving the 650 to hang dry for a while?

Decisions, Decisions.

Here's what happened today...

photo_1.jpg

My buddy/mentor Brenden assisting and teaching.

photo_2.jpg

Back