'81 Budget Build

Not to throw a wrench in this project, but I practically just stole this bike. Picked her up off a craigslist ad. Not sure what Ill do with her yet. But she's all stock and ready to rock.

1978 Yamaha XS400
photo_1.jpg

Nice find! Gotta love craigslist. Trick is having the scratch when the great deal shows up. Can't tell you how many missed opportunities like this c
uz of that...

Had a busy weekend in the shop. Got a good bit completed, even in the murderous heat/humidity.

Put the fly wheel back on.
photo_2.jpg

Cut out a fresh gasket.
photo_1.jpg

Both covers on. Attached my new clutch cable so I could play around with cable routing.
photo_3.jpg

Got her sittin pretty.
photo_4.jpg

Next up I did the oil finish on my gas tank.
photo_5.jpg

How my tank looks from the top. After glass blasting a few weeks back and letting my sweaty body touch all over the tank, unintentionally. These rust spots came out. I like them, so I put the oil finish over the the top of it.
photo_1.jpg

Just all unhappy about the heat. How much character can one man possibly build?
photo_2.jpg

New carb boots and gaskets. Carbs mounted.
photo_3.jpg

Installed the speedo dead center by flippin the bracket it came with and using the standard speedo/tach mounts.
photo_4.jpg

Problems for next time I'm in the shop. Think I going to run the speedo cable right through the lamp.
photo_5.jpg

My final shot before leaving her for a few weeks. The deck came courtesy of a friend. Its soon to be my seat.
photo_2.jpg

Plenty more was completed that I didn't get pictures of, such as setting valve clearance, cleaning out the gas tank, changed the oil filter and added/replaced several bolts all over.

My need for things is changing a bit. Im going to have to start looking for some new mufflers. Might post in the WANTED section here. And all of my electrical will be built from scratch. Hopes are to have it all nice and mounted to my new seat. All with break away cables that would allow for me to take the seat off whenever I please. I need to get a tail light to. Adding new spark plugs on my next trip and trying to map out my electrical. There is a box(cant remember the name) that regulates the coils that I need to try and find somewhere, or else I will be forced to set up points on the bike.

Haven't been to Houston in at least a month to work on the bike. Looking for a ignition box so I can start the wiring process. I was able to finally weld the rear hoop on my last visit. Pictures to come.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of using the starter cavity as a tool chest. It would be funny though, when you passed a hot tool to an unsuspecting friend. I would use this opportunity to use the cavity as an oven. Yeehaw hotdogs anyone?

Gotta say I'm not a fan of using the starter cavity as a tool chest. It would be funny though, when you passed a hot tool to an unsuspecting friend. I would use this opportunity to use the cavity as an oven. Yeehaw hotdogs anyone?

I would fill it with chilli con carne and warm the tortillas on the headers. :laugh:

Posted via Mobile

SHOOT! I was hoping you could figure out what to do to get the Hugh's PMA ignition to work. I'm also trying to go battery less on my bobber. I talked to BJ at Penton Racing, and he said he doesn't have a system to work for our 400s, but might be interested in making a setup in the near future. Have you considered madpressdog's Banshee mod? I might end up going that route...

Was just reading through this thread I started several years ago. Boy, we all have to start
somewhere don't we? If I knew half of what I know now this bike would have been running
a few years ago.

I have not died but was rather in purgatory. I like to buy things that don't work. It's a sickness.
I own a XS650 that is in pieces, now my third XS400, a '69 Dodge Dart(needs a brake booster)
and a '46 Spartan Manor that had only a few windows and holes in the roof when I bought it. So many projects,
not alot time and even less money.

Towards the end of last year I made the decision to leave Apple, a company I had been with
for 5 years. To work at a motorcycle co-op
I assisted in opening 3 years ago. Being back at the shop, now full time, I started working on this
particular bike again.

Hard to catch you up on a few years of odds and ends that have been done. But I'll bring up
the gist of it. I had exhaust pipes made by a fella named Matt in Austin, TX @workingmanscustoms
on instagram or workingmanscustoms.com
Matt also welded a few odds and ends for me. He also hammered out a seat pan.
As cool as the skate deck seat would be I know having a nice seat will benefit me in the long run.
If it wasnt mentioned before my brakes, forks and carbs have all been gone through and redone.
I managed to build a dirty looking battery/electrical box out of scrap at the shop. Welding is not
my area of expertise as you will see in the photos. I do need to go through and check all my bolts
on the frame to make sure they were all tightened down more than finger tight. I'm having to do
all my electrical from scratch. That is currently in progress. I have purchased a new headlight,
battery, front and back blinker's and a few other things. I really want to get a new tire on the
back. That tiny thing is just not working for the look I want. Maybe I'll part with it on the forum here.

Pics are not current as of the last few months but they are what I had on my phone.

SvJAczf.jpg

Nvpl2nJ.jpg

I've been lurking for the last few weeks as I just picked up another pretty stock '81 XS400H
for $100 off craigslist. No carbs or title but definitely worth it. Got it running yesterday. After
a full tune up and some new cables it will be road worthy.
On that note I will be keeping up with this thread pretty regularly until the bike is done.

- Rusty

Last edited:
I seen this thread when I started my build and used the skateboard idea as I had a spare deck knocking about
Doesn't make an ideal seat really as the sides flick up and they don't sit totally flat on the frame rails unless modified
With some foam might be a fairly comfortable seat Havnt totally decided what I'm gonna do as of yet

Following progress on this your going pretty much the same way I'm going with mine

Very very cool. How is the co-op working out for you?

The shop is great! Common Motor Collective specializes in Honda CB 350's, 360's and 450's on the online parts business side of things(the money maker). And as far as co-op members we have a few Yamaha's, currently two Russian made bikes with sidecars and a slew of Honda's.

I'm understanding the in's and out's of this parts business deal. It has me wondering if I can manage my own online store gig with XS400 parts. Quality parts at a reasonable price just to one up MikesXS. Maybe I'll just start low key, new cables, carb rebuild kits, petcock rebuild kits etc. Just thinking out loud here!

My bike as it currently sits at the shop.

KQpPUol.jpg

QneLyay.jpg

Don't stop now! I just bought an '81 XS400H Special ii. Has the same drum brakes and wire wheels as your build.

As I trawl through this amazing site I found your build, and realized I want to do something similar. Raw metal looking tank. *Possibly* remove the electrical and go with a kick start only.
Thoughts?

Luckily my bike runs great, and the carbs were pristinely cleaned by the previous owner (ultrasonic bath, etc. etc).

Thinking of chopping the seat, and then making a U-bar like yours. What would you have done differently if you were to do it all again? Start with electrical stuff? Do the seat to get rid of the OG ugly seat?

Back