81 XS400 Build

Thanks for info and pics. Mine gonna go back under the knife after i ride it a while and build up funds for pipe. I used plate in my rear section and lowerd bike at top shock mount. I like that open look to

No problem! I'm almost ready for tear down for paint but part of me wants to wait and log a few miles first!

Pretty pumped! Got a little more work done on the battery box and found a fender for the rear, It came of the front of a Yamaha TX750! Also the mirrors came in! I flipped the lever mounts left to right so I could hang them! I'll get some better pics later today.

Got the rear fender done! Built a couple brackets for a guy and we ended up just trading for the headlights! I'm not 100% sold on them yet but I do like how they match the gauges. There's a little better shot of the mirrors too.

Wow, I really like how you were able to lower the stock gauges like that. I was wondering how I might be able to do that without welding, but I haven't figured anything out yet.

Bike looks amazing, man!

That looks better :)

Wow, I really like how you were able to lower the stock gauges like that. I was wondering how I might be able to do that without welding, but I haven't figured anything out yet.

Bike looks amazing, man!

Thanks guys and yeah, it really helped the way it looked with these bars. Do you have a grinder? If so a cut off wheel and flapper disk would do the trick. Just grind out the stock rod like I did, then instead of welding in bar stock you could just use threaded rod, nuts bolts and washers.

...I actually bought all those today!
I will look into doing that tomorrow! I can't actually picture it right now, but I'm sure it'll make perfect sense when I look at it. Thanks!

...I actually bought all those today!
I will look into doing that tomorrow! I can't actually picture it right now, but I'm sure it'll make perfect sense when I look at it. Thanks!

Yeah I don't see why it wouldn't work! I was thinking something along the lines of this.

I like the cruiser pegs great idea for long rides.I see you put the fenders back on great idea,gives the bike more appeal by adding some crome.

I like the cruiser pegs great idea for long rides.I see you put the fenders back on great idea,gives the bike more appeal by adding some crome.

Thanks Scorpio1963! I am anxious to get out and see how they feel while riding. So far I've only put my feet on them sitting in the garage :(

I really like the way the fenders look as well but unfortunately they wont be chrome in the end. They are in bad enough shape they would need to get re-chromed. $300 and two 3 hour rounds trips.... so they are just getting painted to match the tank!

Few updates, nothing real spectacular. I ordered this licence plate holder and really liked the way it looked but the problem was mounting it. The stock axle was too short and even if it was long enough the axle hole on the licence plate holder was too big. At first I tried to drill and tap the opening so it would clamp on the axle nut, but since it's aluminum I couldn't get it tight enough..... So this is what I came up with, I had to improvise!

Also here's a shot of the brackets I made and traded for the headlights!

I added two little tac welds to keep it from falling even after being tight with the axle nut.

Well my jets came in and am really happy with the way it's running. Still need to work out a few idle issues but aside from that I've decided the paint scheme will be red and black.

Logged a few mile of the bike before tear down and spent this week getting things ready for paint. Got the frame done minus clear coat. I had the tank all ready for paint but like a dumb a** I dropped it and added some more body work lol. This is the color I picked for the frame.

Back