81 XS400 Build

Thanks all! So far I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turning out. Here's a couple more shots with the clear coat finished. The first one will give an idea of how it looks in the shade or at night. Also threw in a sneak peak of the tank. I'll get some more detailed pics of it after the last coat of clear.

As promised, here are the rest of the tank pics. Not perfect but for my first flame job and motorcycle gas tank I'm pleased! The front and rear fenders will get done the same way. Let me know what y'all think.

Well, the shadows on the tips of the flames fooled me, I had to look twice to convince myself it wasn't a loosely-attached template. Looks great! How did you do the smokey skull patterns?

Looks awesome:thumbsup:

Thanks xschris!

Well, the shadows on the tips of the flames fooled me, I had to look twice to convince myself it wasn't a loosely-attached template. Looks great! How did you do the smokey skull patterns?

Hey thanks! I think that just means I did it right! :thumbsup: Base coat first (black night metallic), let dry then scuff, then I used 3M fine line tape to lay out the flames, masked off the negative space, sprayed the flame candy base coat (orion silver) then airbrushed black for the skulls and smoke, added highlights (snow white pearl) then candy over the flames (apple red Kandy) Removed the tape and let harden over night, scuffed and then added the white tips and shadowing, cleared the next day. Pics are in that order!

Morning all!

So it's been a while since I posted or worked on the bike. My father passed away in October and I pretty much put everything on hold for the last couple months. Well it's definitely time to get this thing finished up, I stated back on it about a week ago and have it almost all buttoned up. Let me know what you all think.

P.s. I am terrible about posting pictures, so sorry in advance for all the photos at once.

Got the carbs all cleaned up.

I decided to go a different route with the fenders. Originally I wanted to do them flamed like the tank but after trying to lay out the flames they just didn't flow right.

I still wasn't sure about the frame color but after getting so stuff put together I think i'm liking it more and more.

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/atothepfunk/media/IMG_4764.jpg.html?filters[user]=20038739&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=9

Did the motor in black like the carbs, added all new stainless steel cap screws and did a few polished accents. Have to hit the hardware store one last time for a few finishing touched and get some oil today. With any luck, I'll get it fired up tonight! Still haven't decided on the seat, but after seeing the bike almost complete, it needs something done with it. Wish me luck!!

Thanks for all the kind words. My pops was the reason I got this bike in the first place. I found it in Nebraska, he hauled it from there all the way out to California for me.

Well the last piece of the puzzle is completed. Seat pan is finally covered and I think it was the finishing touch it needed. Let me know what you all think.

Looks nice, sorry to see that your selling it. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks Gents, as much as I'd like to keep it.... It's time for it to find another good home. I'll be happy just knowing it's out on the road and not rotting away somewhere like when I found it.

Back