81 XS400 Special, Clutch Question

Tony Simmers

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So my question is about how to diagnose if your clutch discs are worn out? Despite the obvious things, pieces in oil, slipping, etc. The bike does not slip at any speed/RPM. Just doesn't feel as if there is a whole lot of travel from "disengaged" to "engaged" ie: (Lever in vs. Lever out) It is like within 1/8" of travel it is either fully engaged, or not at all. This doesn't bother me so much, but the lady I am restoring this bike for is a new rider and is having a problem feathering the clutch to start out from a stop or to smoothly transition between gears without jerking. I would not describe myself as an "experienced" rider or an "experienced" motorcycle mechanic, but I have ridden plenty of other bikes and this doesn't feel quite right...Clutch springs perhaps? I have adjusted the cable every which way from Sunday from no disengagement when lever is pulled, to bike rolls when in gear, and I can't seem to find a happy medium...Stretchy/worn cable maybe? I want to properly diagnose this before I spend her $$ (or my own) on something unnecessary. Thanks in advance for the help.

Back