For Sale - 81 XS400HS for sale

TOM SCHANNE

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm selling my 81 XS400HS to make room for another bike. The 81 has 9000 original miles on her and she's now in great all original shape. She was given to me about a year and a half ago by my son in law's father. He had it stored in a shed and it hadn't been ridden or started since 85 when he put it in storage. I sourced out a lot of NOS chrome bits from members here and on Ebay. I cleaned the gas tank out completely of all rust. The carbs have been gone through and all the jets and part replaced with real Mikuni parts. I had the gas tank repainted and added a gold stripe that I believe is from a XS650. The valves are set correctly and all in all she runs beautifully. New tires front and back . Brake calipers and master cylinder rebuilt and works fine.
I'm asking 2500.00 for her. Clear NJ title and reg. PM me if your interested.
Yamaha XS400HS (2).JPG
Yamaha XS400HS (3).JPG
Yamaha XS400HS (4).JPG
Yamaha XS400HS (5).JPG

Attachments

• Yamaha XS400HS.JPG
    Yamaha XS400HS.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Yamaha XS400HS (5).JPG
    Yamaha XS400HS (5).JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
I think your selling the bike a bit short. I would start a lot higher and list it on craigs list in the spring. Even tho it's a less desirable year and model xs400 it's in very good shape. But as I have come to a conclusion myself with my 81 and 82 sohc when I tried to sell, these are worth more in parts than as a whole. Even in very good shape. Good luck. Hope you get what you need.

I would start at $2,500 then you have some room to go down. It's hard to tell what this will go for in your area. In a local craigslist I saw for a few years listed a bike with the exact same year and model that you have. It was factory all original and had a full Vetter fairing on the front, plus only 4k miles on it. I think he started at $4,500. The last time I saw the listing it was down to 2k. That was about a year ago. I am not sure if he sold it or gave up. I almost thought about taking a look but with five already I just could not do it. Yours has fresher parts than that one but that one still had factory paint.

Back