82 Seca chop

heavymetalheavymetal

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Borat Thung earthlings!
Been reading this forum for a while now since I picked up a 82 DOHC Seca from ebay as my first bike.
It looks disgusting at the moment but it was cheap and starts and runs after a bit of work.
I put a new petrol tank on from a Suzuki GS550 which fit almost perfectly straight away and already looks a million miles better.
I plan to remove all the plastic and crap off this bike, chop all the back end of the frame off and replace the monoshock with a slightly shorter square tube section to lower it.
I'll try and get photos of the progress but its slow as I'm at college learning to weld until 5 and its usually too dark to work when I get home so stuck to weekends for now and only afford new parts when my giro comes in!
I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas it's all welcome, I want to make something fun to ride but minimal as possible, cheers in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 384
Hey heavy metal. I also just recently bought an 82 seca (november 2012). I like the fork covers on your bike. Sounds like we are on the same journey. I dont think Ill be taking my rear suspension off though. One thing I absolutely hate about this model is the ugly square headlight. I recomend changing that for sure.

Ahhhh I just cut them fork covers off I thought they were ugly! I totally agree about the headlamp though! Going to get myself some clip on pod air filters soon and get rid of the airbox too.
Sort of dreading cutting the frame now I realised how many wires are running along it, I have no clue where they're going or what they're doing, might be able to bung them all together some how though.

LOL! Looks like we are on opposite paths with our bikes. I just bought a pair of fork boots (gaiters)! I'm trying to black out my Maxim as I work on it. I don't like polishing chrome. I'm also working on raising the rear and increasing the suspension travel as I want to make mine into an adventure touring bike. Different strokes for different folks!

And welcome to the forum!

You cut them off!!! Dam bud. I would have bought those from you. Before you ruin any other parts think about posting them in classifieds. You might be able to get some dough for the project :)

Ya Im building my own wiring harness. There are a bunch of relays that I dont want on my bike (kickstand kill swtich, clutch switch, blinker canceling relay, Neutral relay....) There are diagrams on this site (as well as a complete manual) that show all different layouts.

Yeah I think that is the best way to go, at least then I'll completely understand my wiring.
I was thinking of taking the gaitors off to sell but it'd mean disassembling the forks which I didn't fancy doing just for that so I cut them, I've been keeping everything else I took off in a box though so will clean em up for anyone wanting parts. I'm in UK though so postage might not be worth it.

You are right sir. Postage would not be worth it. I could buy a new pair for the price of shipping. You did know its only four bolts to loosen to take off your fork. :)

Yeah thanks for the replys! The tank fit almost straight away, I just had to file back the bumps the front of the tank fits over and move forwards the bracket the old tank mounted to and drill 2 holes for the bolts. Hopefully I can start cutting the frame down later next week and fabricate a battery box in college.

hey heavymetal make sure you take lots of pics as you cut down your back end. I am looking to do the same thing to mine. I have an 82 seca as well and would love to hard tail it same problems with time and all. Would love to see how yours goes.

Hope im not butting in but this is how i cut my frame, PS i cleaned it up a lil better after these pics.

Attachments

• 4g 359.jpg
    4g 359.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 4g 360.jpg
    4g 360.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 4g 361.jpg
    4g 361.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 395
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 347
Hope im not butting in but this is how i cut my frame, PS i cleaned it up a lil better after these pics.

Hey 83xs440. Looking at the pics and I noticed you had your battery mounted on the swing arm. how is the clearance with the chain? Im doing it the same way but wasnt sure if it will clear. Thanks

Just a word of caution. With the battery mounted on the swingarm, it will be subjected to a lot more vibration and shock. It would be wise to isolate the battery with a dense foam pad to try to protect it. An AGM battery should be lighter and more resistant to vibration. And it will be resistant to leaking or spillage.

Roger that Dave. One step ahead of you. Got an AGM battery and got waterproof high density foam in the bottom of the box. Do you think I will need it on the sides of the box as well. I dont think there will be much movement once it is strapped down.

I am still open to suggestion on where to mount the b box but as bentwrench point out to me, the box can be mounted there and no welding is required, because of the oval hole in the swingarm

Clearence wise theres maybe a 1/4 at the most for clearence. I made the box a little to big for the battery. I have 2 layers all the way around and on the bottom of floor mat and then a belt holding it in the place. Yes the oval hole in the bottom of the swing arm made it real easy to mount there. I dont see a better place to put the battery my self.

Back