82 starting problem, wiring? Help!

For some reason the video doesn't load...
But...check.
1.grounds...good contact everywhere/continuity
2.starter solenoid
3.starter
4.handlebars switch
5.safety switches
6.do you even have spark?
7.are you getting fuel?...are the carbs REALLY CLEAN?
8.is your tci knackered?

For some reason the video doesn't load...
But...check.
1.grounds...good contact everywhere/continuity
2.starter solenoid
3.starter
4.handlebars switch
5.safety switches
6.do you even have spark?
7.are you getting fuel?...are the carbs REALLY CLEAN?
8.is your tci knackered?

positive is connected to one end with a wire leading off to connections on the bike. negative is on other end with the starter motor on the same lead. everything lights up, yet no power is drawn when i try to start it. i tested the starter motor, it does work.

Attachments

• 20180114_121604.jpg
    20180114_121604.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 492
From your picture it looks like you have the battery grounded to the solenoid. Take that one off the solenoid and ground it to the engine then try starting.

Borrowed this pic, but it shows where my ground connection is made from the battery to the engine. You should also make sure that the grounds on the wire harness are good as well. Theres a few of them but theres one "main" ground on the harness and then some secondary ones for the lights.

Attachments

• s-l1600fhf.jpg
    s-l1600fhf.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 409
From your picture it looks like you have the battery grounded to the solenoid. Take that one off the solenoid and ground it to the engine then try starting.

I've tried that. putting everything the way it was, only grounding the negative to a cable in the middle of the bike, but the motor did not even draw power.

If it doesn't work with the proper wiring then I would start checking all the grounds like Jeff and Mike have stated. I had a bad ground in the rat's nest headlight wiring that stopped my bike from starting. Not sure if that was the main cause, but it my issue was gone after fixing that.

Back