'82 XS400SE Idle mixture/pilot screws

classexa

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of adjusting these. There are 2 right, one for each carb? Should they be adjusted the same amount of turns? Anyone know factory settings? I see different things depending on where I look. In the Haynes I got it says 1- 1 1/4. In the online manual here it says 2 1/2

Also, it looks like I've to remove the tank to get to them. Is there a way to keep the tank connected while it's removed so I don't have to adjust, put the tank back on, then start it up etc.?

Most success stories and what many would recommend as your start is from 3.25 to 3.75 turns out from lightly seated with 4 being the maximum, haven't heard of a minimum. I kept mine uniform till plug color was leading me to and end result of 2.75 on the right and 3.25 on the left if i remember correctly, i'll check my notes at home. I do quarter turn adjustments and as long as i don't observe any red flags ie super rich or super lean, i check mine once every 100 miles, eventually i'll get them dialed and i won't touch them much after that. Still tuning for the h pipe i recently added and will need to tune yet again once the bike meets its "performs flawlessly" checklist. In which i will promptly undo all my tuning and hard work for more tuning and hard work otherwise known as jetting. Idle mixture screws are part of the pilot circuit, a dirty, hard to read circuit that only effects 0-25% throttle. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
I heard no popping. The screw on the left carb was 3 1/2 turns out, the screw on the right carb was 4 turns out. Does that sound right? I adjusted the right screw down to 3 turns because I heard no difference between 4 and 3

Last edited:
Back