-83 XS 400 Starter clutch

clr

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey and greeting from Estonia, if anyone knows where that is :)

Just a quick question. Just bought a -83 XS400 with 12E engine which has probably a broken down starter clutch.
Most useful info i can find is for the older engine models but not for mine. So if anyone can tell me, do i need to take the engine totally apart to replace the starter clutch assembly or can it be done by removing just the bottom half?

All the best,
Tarmo

Hey.
Yea as i was sayn, most if not all info is about SOHC engines, mine is DOHC and starter clutch is in a totally different place.
:(

Pic

Last edited:
So update time.
Since i did not get any info regarding my question, i decided to just go for it and take things apart.
To my suprise instead of the clutch hooking mechanism, the problem is instead the gear itself. One side of the teeth are totally gone.

So from that my question: it seems to me that the gears only line up half way. Does not make much sense in my opinion,
Is this really normal or there is some way to readjust this so they will line up 1:1.
All bearings are without any movement, nothing worn. All shafts are perfect, no side movement.

Attachments

• Pilt 1 moto.jpg
    Pilt 1 moto.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 259
  • Pilt 2 moto.jpg
    Pilt 2 moto.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Pilt 1 moto.jpg
    Pilt 1 moto.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 251
Back