a bunch of silly or expert case questions?

One Big Wet Sump

XS400 Member
Reaction score
1. middle holes in bottom? why 9mm at bottom n 10 or 11mm at top? or extra room for vibtation or just cheaper to have less? or just mold release?

2. is case aluminum? n how pure or mix? i thought cases half alumnium n half monkey? or is there a standard? i think bearing shims roller is steel?

3. what metal n mix is bearing shims rails or what they called even i guess in general called case??

4. how do they get bearing shims or the more shinny harder metal part the shims fit on what theyre even called? imbeded or stuck as one with case? or glueed? i feel like i asked this before but maybe not? do you think they use sand or metal molds or ceramic? or contrete?

5. how much pressure on halfs? seems like a bunch of 8 and 6m bolts how much pressure is on them each? normally or max? could you use aluminum bolts or bend or break too easy? or should they be certain grade steel n whats that like at normal stores?

6. does anyone just pour alumnium in a hole to redrill and retap for a strip thread? or would they weld? as i got top half with 2 middle bolt screw holes strip

Last edited:
#3, it makes no sense as posed.
#1 already answered in other thread.
#2 case is mostly aluminum with possibly some zinc mixed in to alloy it slightly.
#4 if talking about metal inserts for bearings they are steel and set in place to be casted around with aluminum. They become part of the case and non-removeable.
#5 is unanswerable as to the forces involved other than you can't use aluminum bolts and the steel ones must be at least the equal to what was in it before, the heads are marked with it.
#6 you cannot recast molten aluminum around previous cast aluminum, the previous will damage close to the heat and try to turn molten itself and the part will also warp into uselessness from the extreme localized heating. Very possible and likely to crack too. Aluminum melts around 1600+ degrees give or take.

Back