A Project for my Wife

striker85

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to everyone!

Santa brought my wife a new project...An 81 XS400H

I haven't seen it yet myself but here are the pictures. We are getting it from the original owner who bought it for $1600 in '82. It looks not bad and as I'm told it only needs a carb cleaning but I plan to give a thorough once over...valve check, oil change, clutch adjustment, carb clean and general spec check on all the clearances. Anywho, I picked up a copy of the manual from this site and am excited to get started.

I'm used to Hondas, I ride a CB750. So I'm not a stranger to motorcycles but I am to Yamahas. However it doesn't seem too bad...it has half the carbs and a quarter of the valves! But any specific areas of caution or concern on these bikes?
:bike:

-Matt

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Scan_Pic0005.jpg
    Scan_Pic0005.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Scan_Pic0008.jpg
    Scan_Pic0008.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 317
  • Scan_Pic0007.jpg
    Scan_Pic0007.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 322
my vacuum petcock was a problem before i blew up the motor. kept popping the vacuum line. starter motor wouldn't engage a lot of the times either. just kept trying to start it until it did. my bike was sorely neglected and poorly maintained and repaired before i got it. i have not torn it apart to find out what happened cuz i bought a new bike when it did and haven't touched it in years.

As with any bike this old, not just our bikes, a common and very dangerous issue is rear brake shoe delamination. I would replace the rear shoes even if they look good. Rear pads are cheap and readily available. Having the rear wheel lock up at speed can be a very unpleasant situation.

Back