accidentally cut a wire on my cdi should i replace it?

a1steaksauce

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to get a superglued battery out of a battery box. However, the cdi was right next to it and i cut the green/white wire on my cdi. I was planning on just mashing them together and putting some electrical tape over it or buying a wire connector(the crappy plastic ones). would this be okay? or should I just invest in a new cdi while I'm still working on the electricals on the bike?

Thanks

I've been using these for wiring mods. Get a $20 heat gun to set them. They have a low melt solder that fuses after the plastic sleeve has shrunk. Just shove the bared ends of the wires in either end until they over lap in the solder area and blast with a heat gun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H7MU8W8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
upload_2019-7-2_5-49-42.png

Personally I would not use these. I am sceptical that they would make a very good electrical connection. Maybe for something less critical that motorcycle wires.

I was skeptical as well so I bought a few and tried them. Electrical continuity is good and they are strong. As long as you don't overheat them they seem to work fine. I've used them for moving things up and down the wiring harness as well as for modifying tail lights and head lights. The only pick I have is they can get a little bulky and stiff but if you can spread them out when you have multiple conductors in the harness to repair them are a lot easier than soldering and heat shrink tubing.

I understand continuity is good but if at all there is a chance of having a cold weld then it could be an overheating point in the wire due to ultimately not having a good joint then I won't risk it. There are plenty of ways to do things that are alot easier... like just twisting cables together and using tape but I would still recommend fixing wires the normal way. But I am not an electrical engineer or electrician for that matter so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

Back