Advice for a first bike.

Kcekelkai

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
Its my first post here and since I got the xs400 fever, what better place to post but here.
I am new to the entire motorcycle scene and am currently obtaining my license
(rode some scooters and a Simson S51 once lol)
And have located an XS400 in questionable condition. I am know there will be the usual "old bike work" but are there any stuff that i should look for when i go inspect it or any wierd noises(as i said im new to the scene) I intend of making it into a brat/cafe/style bike.
I have the mechanical knowlege and tools and all but i've never dealt with motorcylcles.
I can post some pics of the bike so you get the idea.

51359312181352185_1.pic

51359312181352185_4.pic

51359312181352185_5.pic

51359312181352185_6.pic

I spoke to the owner, he told me the bike was kept in a garage for the last two years and havent been driven since. There was an engine rebuild some time before that, and thats it.

What do you think?

Thanks! :D:D

Welcome! There's a couple of things you should look for:

How are the wearing parts doing: how much thread is left on the tires, are they cracked? How old is the battery and how well is it performing? How are the brake pads? (I see it's upgraded to disc brakes at the rear as well, that's good). Are the electrics working properly? Has it had regular oil changes? Has the fork oil been changed? Has it had new spark plugs, caps and cables? How are the brake lines, clutch cable and other cables doing? Are the chain and sprockets worn to the point of replacement? When were the valve clearances checked last? And did he sync the carbs after?

Basically everything you'll need to change right away adds to your costs, and can be deducted from about 1000 bucks (which is what you'd pay for a great condition ready-to-ride bike) to get to a rough price estimate. Say you'll only have to put new tires on (about 150 bucks), don't pay more than 850 for it. You get the idea. EDIT: I see now you're in Bulgaria. Prices are probably different over there.

If it has been sitting in the garage for two years the carbs are almost definitely gummed up. Old petrol deteriorates pretty quickly in there, clogging up the passages. The bike probably won't start, or it won't run well. If you buy it like that, it could be a really easy fix (just clean the carbs), but you won't be able to see if there is anything else wrong with it when you go look at it. Preferably get the seller to clean the carbs for you, so you can have a good look at how it runs when you go to buy it.

The case and rack on the back is also an extra aftermarket addition, adds value. It looks like a nice early model XS400 SOHC other than that. The seller installed an inline fuel filter (which is very wise and highly recommended) but unfortunately it's upside down. If you buy it you'll have to replace it with a new one, and put that one the other way around.

How much is he selling it for?

The guy has put it up online for about 990 USD but even over the phone he started lowering the price even before i started asking anything, so i guess he will go as low as 5-600. I dont know if he'll be inclined to clean the carbs though.. I will get a mechanic with me but if the bike doesnt run he cant tell me anything... i think.

Ok well it's a bit of a lot to ask anyways, to get him to clean the carbs. Just have good look and feel when you're there. Also, before he parked it two years ago, if he rode it often most things should be fine. Just keep in mind that things like some new cables can increase costs drastically.

Sounds like a pretty fair deal though, for 500 - 600 euros. But again, it depends on the condition. Good thing to check when you go as well is any free play on bearings. Have a good yank on both wheels, see how the chain tension is, check the steering head for free play, etc etc. Also check for evidence of oil leaks, and have a look at the used spark plugs. If they're very oily and brown, there's oil leaking into the cylinders which is bad. White or sooty black plugs are fixable out-of-adjustment issues, slightly tan plugs are good.

On the odd chance that he might have added stabilizer to the fuel when he put it away, consider taking an empty gas container and a second one with a litre of fresh SHELL/no ethanol gas.

Before trying to turn it over, drain all the old gas out of the tank and carb bowls (your mechanic friend will know how). Then put in the fresh gas.

A lot of sellers have a convenient "battery needs a charge" story to avoid having to start it for a buyer. Take a set of jumper cables so you can at least turn it over with the electric starter (if it has one) so you can test that out.

Ok.
One more question.
Does anyone have some good sites for parts (europe)?
Since here in Bulgaria the official dealer sells a simple rubber seal for 30-40 euros (which is insane)
Thanks!

ebay germany has a lot, don't know how much shipping would be to you though.

N besides that I only know some dutch sites, but there are some web shops that sell all kinds of parts for japanese bikes (japparts.nl for example), maybe there are bulgarian equivalents to those?

yeah I tought so too but no dice.
I will search around for more euro sites prolly ebay would be best thou, the trick is to be in the european union so the shipping and taxes are lower ;)

Thanks alot fellas.
I hope the bike turnes out ok, im going to take a mechanic that knows bikes with me hopefully he'll give me a good advice!

Just red your post and a few things come to mind. I like the idea to bring good gas, jump battery, cables & a mechanic when you check it out. I also doubt the current owner would be willing to clean the carbs. Just go with no real expectations. For a non running bike I think $500-600 american is a bit much but I am a real tight axx. If it will turn over easily on the starter or kick part of your battle is over. Just go with your best offer remember Cash talks louder than most anything else.

Yea final update. Last night I spoke to the owner again asking him to lower the price ofc and the info got out that the registration papers he had for the bike were not on his name and thus rendering the bike in-transferable to my name. And nevermind the condition I cant drive it ever ( laws here are a bit stupid)

But The good news is that I found a mint condition ride ready Kawasaki Z400 that I will probably get instead.

Cheers for the help I will save this as advice for my next bike.

Thanks!

Smart move you may have dodged a bullet. In the states each state has it's own requirements to re register a found vehicle. In my state there are very few problems and others it's like an expensive circus act. I like the idea of a small to midsize bike for a starter bike. There are a lot of mods you can do to these and the Kawasaki is one of the best to start with.

I'm a new rider, I just bought a 400 maxim, the experienced bikers I brought with me saw it was too tall for me, I'm 5' nothing, but assured me it could be lowered quite easily, all said and done, I bought the bike, the guys changed the front caliper, front brakes, rear brakes, changed the plugs and lowered the suspension, and I still couldn't touch the ground on both sides. Now I'm waiting for a new coil overshock, originally it was suppose to be 12" (but had one over 14" in it) and will see it that helps. Since I don't know anything mechanically, I'm doubtful this will even help. I'd like to know if anyone knows whether this will even help make it lower. Anyone?

I was just able to touch both feet comfortably and so I never had to do any modifications to lower the bike. I did notice that the thick soled riding boots made some difference so, if you haven't already bought boots, make sure you get a pair with the thickest soles you can - something like http://images.leatherup.com/images/product/large/1505-01.jpg;/images/product/large/1505-02.jpg ; or http://womensmotorcycleboots.net/wp...7/Harley-Davidson-Womens-Motorcycle-Boots.jpg

There are some things that folks on here have tried. A shorter mono-shock will help - if you can find one, and provided it is stiffer than the original to prevent the tire from scraping the fender if you "bottom out" on a large bump.

A couple have taken the vinyl off the seat and shaved down the plastic mold and the foam somehow to lower and narrow it. That would require some skill and then your bike would not be "original" and might affect resale value - if you care. That said, this is the easiest and least intrusive way to make a difference.

A couple have talked about moving the fork trees down on the forks so as to lower the front end of the bike. But one guy reported that after doing it too much on a sohc, he got a "death wobble" at high speed. Might not be a factor on a Maxim, especially if you stay under 110 like me.

My Maxim had a 130/90/16 tire on the rear. You might still be within spec if you fit a 120/90 on the wheel - if such a size is available in Can. That would lower the overall tire height (theoretically by 18mm) but it would also reduce the rolling circumference and thereby increase the engine's rpms at any given speed. If you then found that it buzzed too much at highway speeds, you could install a new front sprocket with one extra tooth and shave 450 rpms back off (at 100 kmh). http://www.bikebandit.com/120-90-16-street-motorcycle-tires/n1348-4294966311-4294966933

ty Lou Ranger. I'll keep all this in mind, my next idea was to redo the seat, but hadn't thought about the tire size, as it has fairly new tires already. I won't do the front forks, thats' just too much work. LOL.

Tires wouldn't be worth it. I just realized that, even if you reduced the diameter by 18mm, the axle goes through the middle so the bike would only go down 9mm - not worth it.

Doing the forks is not hard at all. 16VGTIDave helped me do the opposite with mine - the forks were sticking up about an inch above the top tree and we simply loosened the trees and slipped the forks down.
So, in my case we raised the front. If your PO went for the tallest possible setting, you might be able to lower it a fair bit without compromising geometry - it might even compliment the lowering of the rear if you are able to get a shorter mono-shock. It only took a couple of minutes and involved no purchases.

Its Funny fellas that after a year I respond here but I didnt get that XS the owner was a dick and didn't have the registration papers and the bike was in awful state. So I got a V35 Moto Guzzi and am halfway of making it a good cafe.

Thanks for the initial input and sorry for the offtopic just felt its good to share lol

Regards

PS: Here's a pic of the bike as it stands now.

20svwhl.jpg

Back