Advice requested - pods/jets for 1982 DOHC XS400RJ

MAG-XS400RJ

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got my bike disassembled for winter time clean up (painting frame and swingarm, cleaning up shiny and degreasing rest) and I'm considering experimenting with running pods. I'll be keeping the airbox and boots around in case it doesn't work as I like as the bike is 99% original. To my questions: any advice on brand/style of pods? re-jetting that worked well? ideas on battery box replacement?

Other considerations - I've got the original exhaust and generally just ride slow and smooth. (Just sold my KZ ZX7r with 9r engine, but thats a different story)

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks.

Yeah, that is probably the best advice. I just hate the thought of wrangling the carbs back in. But with the engine out I can get everything in place and just ease it back into position... or at least I hope.

I also have a DOHC. As much as the stock air box is a pain when it comes to pulling the carbs, keep it original as long as you can. This bike has a unique look to it. I have received many compliments on mine. Already ridden two up with a couple different girls and they liked it, too. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately to get it back on the road I need Yamaha Part 12R-14453-00-00 JOINT,AIR CLNR. This is the boot between the carb and the air box.

Bought used ones on ebay that were identified as XS400RJ airbox and boots. Nope the boots didn't fit my carbs (original to bike). Very frustrating. If anyone converted to pods and doesn't need their old boots anymore I would truly appreciate buying them...!

Ok. I've given up on finding usable airbox to carb boots. I have a split one, I'm going to try to pour my own replacements using rubber. Talking to myself here.

If you plan on doing pods, take a look at Dave's setup. I think he used ABS piping as the velocity stacks. And yes, those air cleaner joints are hard to find. Every once in a while they may pop up on eBay. I think a lot of guys here have gone to pods out of necessity, essentially because of the same situation you are in, air cleaner joints shrinking and not holding a good seal on the carbs or just being the wrong joints.

I can say that within another year or so I will have to forsake my stock setup and go to pods because the rubber is simply wearing out.

Back