aftermarket regulator wiring?

Drewcifer

1976 XS 360 Maniac
Reaction score
Anyone done this mod before? I see 01ps has, but can't reach him.

Anyway I'd like some help with the wiring. Which wire goes where? I've tried both ways round. I think it's green to the upper left, black red to the lower center. Let me know...

And what do I do with the old black one?

Thanks

Drew

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,523
Okay, this quote is from pamcopete, wizard of xs650.com

"There are basically two type of regulators that can be used on a motorcycle.

The VR291 provides a switched battery to one brush of the alternator rotor, the other brush is grounded. The VR291 style has four wires and a plastic connector.

The "Chrysler" style regulator provides a switched ground to one brush, the other brush is connected to battery. The "Chrysler" style regulator has two pins in a plug type arrangement and requires that the case be grounded.

So, take a look at the brushes on your alternator rotor and see which style you have to determine which regulator you need. "

My question is, how do I know if I have switched battery type or switched ground type? I'm so close to this answer.

Is the chrysler, aka switched ground regulator the right one for the xs 360 with points? Or do I need the switched battery type vr291?

Anyone?

Looks like the V.reg on the 360 models only have three connectors (ground, generator, and main power), so based on what pamcopete says that'd mean you need the Chrysler/Dodge switched ground model VR125.

Edit: Crap it looks like the exciter coil is normally grounded (the PDF is difficult to read on those pages), with the V.reg energizing the coil. Brown is main power and green is exciter coil. That must be a switched battery then. (not 100% on what the V.reg in the diagram is supposed to be doing, looks like an inductor and capacitor in parallel.)

Edit: Must be a transistor, which would short main power to the generator (bypassing that resistor) when the volts are low. That inductor slows down changes in the system so the transistor doesn't wear out, and also provides resistance between the main and ground, and thus the voltage difference the transistor is looking for. Definitely looking at a switched source now.

Last edited:
So confirming for the non engineer, switched source sounds like switched battery, and therefore the vr291, not the vr 125 which I bought already. Thankfully Oreilly is gracious about returns....

Pseudo, thanks for the research and assistance!

Yay! Finally solved! Thanks everyone for your help. I want to consolidate this info. The link you sent me where pamcopete spelled it out was hard to track down. I'd googled it for about 4 days! Going to Napa now.

Okay lads, so I've done the swap, the bike runs, but I still have a charging system fault. I am getting no bonus volts to the battery when the bike is revved. It just stays at 12.62 or thereabouts. (this is after starting with a known good battery)

So I can jumper positive to the green wire that goes to the regulator from my brush and bypass the voltage regulator, right? If I do that I should see 14 volts?

its not a brush, the system is brush-less and uses electromagnetism to excite the rotor. voltage regulator reduces volts to the field coil to lower charging when battery is full.

thanks. What are the names of the components? Being an excited field coil, I'm having trouble knowing what to call the parts. There's the field coil which has the slip rings, and then the the outer winding (three white wires, one yellow wire) and there's an inner winding too, but that one I'm having trouble finding the other end of the wires to test. Just fumbling along here and Im not an engineer.

thanks for any help.

Drewcifer

field coil; green and black wire

stator: 3 white wires plus one just not used

that's it, no slip rings

yellow wire is either oil pressure switch or neutral indicator

Here's the link that showed me which I needed.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3246&page=1#19006

the r-292 will work on a bike of my year (76') with points. (I believe it works on all bikes with points up to 79') Psuedomonkey checked my wiring diagram to make sure I had the switched source. The other aftermarket regulator works on bikes with a switched ground. That is the vr-125. Have a wiring jedi confirm your bike has switched ground or switched battery (source) and they can tell you which you need.

Switched ground r-125
Switched source r-292

Best of luck

Drewcifer.

PS, I am currently checking my stator and field coil for shorts and exposed segments, and degreasing them so there are no oil related shorts. Will keep you posted. Also, I read through a long build thread today and a previous member discovered his stator was not correctly installed and the misalignment threw off his charging system. I don't see dings on mine like he did but I am checking all out again anyway. You only have to find the bug once. So I keep checking.

I do believe if you are wiring it up from scratch you can use either or, correct me if I’m wrong, but you just have to wire it differently to correspond with the regulator you got. Either switched ground or switched source.

Back