AGM YT12A-BS - does it fit in a stock battery box?

cosworth

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to know if it fits. Please, I don’t need to hear that the charging system won’t match it or that the stock battery is best.

Dimension wise, can it squeak in there? The battery box from 76-81/2 or whatever year/country they stopped selling the 360-400 in your country lol.

The 360's battery box does have more play than later years but that's almost 3/4" longer and over 1/4" wider.
Could maybe put it vertically if you can find the width.

I scoured battery spec sheets for hours trying to find something lighter that'd fit. Finally settled on a Scorpion Stinger SSTX12Q-FP lithium battery.
After import fees it was more than twice the price of the Yuasa AGM.

I just go to my local auto parts store chain ( Oriellys, Pepboys, Autozone. They usually have an AGM battery that is basically the same size as the standard battery, just with less height. Ive had the store brand batteries from all 3 stores mentioned. They all last about the same amount of time.

I did fry one battery because at the time I still had the mechanical regulator and it went over-voltage and wrecked it. It also fried my Pamco ignition.

So I work in a shop. Husky/Suzuki dealer. I decided to take an older battery box in from a 400 and mess around.

Voila! At 210 cold cranking amps and advanced lead-calcium maintenance free tech, the YXT14AH-BS fits perfectly. It is only 6mm taller yet there is plenty of room. Quite excited to try this battery over the winter.

Back