1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

air filter help !.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scotch, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

hi guys , new to the forum and need some help sourcing air filters .
    just got my first xs400 for £450 off ebay , she`s a sweet little thing but having problem with her idling on one cylinder only ( she has no air filters ) but responds well to throttle .
    the air box will not take the standard air filters for a sohc modle , so i`m looking for help to id my bike and source the correct one`s .
    VIN no :4G5013737
    ENG no: 4G5015154

any help wecome thanks .

scotch.

2. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

hi tried that sight but i don`t have a 17 digit vin number ? help.

3. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

NY
    Your vin says it is a 1980-83 sohc model the pic is what your bike should take. Could you post a pic of your bike so we can see what you have.

Attached Files:

4. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

thanks but that wont fit ! my air box has a side panel , to be remove for filter install , and wont take a filter that size .
    is it possible that it has the dohc air box ? sorry can`t up load pic as im @ work .

5. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

hi found a photo of some air filters that might fit ,and here`s a photo of my air box , photo`s from ebay germany. can anyone supply info on these .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

NY
    It must be a european thing never seen that setup here in the states.

7. Scorpio1963

Scorpio1963 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Although it looks like a pain in the but to remove I kinda like the setup.It does away with airbox tubes

8. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

Hi guy's , must be limited to the market over here and really quite rare , can't find any info or part numbers in any manual . Will just need to keep looking or convert to pods ..

9. markjs

markjs XS400 owner, bike lover

Sounds to me like someone might have used one from Maxim or Seca on it. They take a rectangular paper filter thgat retains with a metal spring clip and then has three screws on the side to change it.

10. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

Yeah, thought it might be from a seca / maxim but the filters they use are more square ! These are very slim , think they are for the german market only .
    The search goes on .

11. Pork Chop

Pork Chop XS400 Junkie

You could always throw all that crap away and get an ru-2970 by K&N.

12. Scotch

Scotch Fly fisher

Hi pork chop , looks like k&n's is the way forward as the correct one's are £70 from Germany . Will need to cut the air box to get it out .

13. Jpvg

Jpvg XS400 Member

I know it's late. But I recently got my airfilters of my bike. And I have exactly the same as yours. My replacement that I ordered doesn't fit..
    so probably have to go for another solution as well..