air filter pods

mcrowell75

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just received my 2 new chrome air filter pods in the mail today. They have 48mm ID rubber mounts.

They don't fit on my carbs. It looks like mine are 54mm... I know, I should have measured.:banghead:

Everyone selling these things for the '78 xs400 is selling 48mm. It even says it on the box (emgo brand).

My question is this. Do I not have the correct carbs on my bike? All of my jet #'s match up and the pictures in my shop manual look like my carbs exactly.

I'd just like to know because I don't want to spend time tuning a bike that someone slapped the wrong carbeurators on somewhere in its checkered past.

Thanks again.

I got those and using them on the air filter inlets, it don't afect the CV cabs as much due to the inlet tract!

newtyres-1.jpg

hmm, thats interesting. I was wondering how I was going to filter the air that was going in to the case breather tube. This solves that problem.

And you are able to keep a good tight seal this way?

Do you know all your jet #'s, if you dont mind me askin'

That bike looks nice and hooligan by the way:thumbsup:

I don't understand how this solution solves the problèm of the air in to the case breather tube.

so, i'm looking for pod filter and I hesitate between xs pod , kn pod or bmc pod. Kn is very expansive, i've read bad review about xs pod (probably a bad series), i think bmc pods are good.

What do you think?

hmm, thats interesting. I was wondering how I was going to filter the air that was going in to the case breather tube. This solves that problem.

And you are able to keep a good tight seal this way?

Do you know all your jet #'s, if you dont mind me askin'

That bike looks nice and hooligan by the way:thumbsup:

I'm using the later dohc carbs on this as i got them brand new. I had to make the bracketry as they were too narrow.

I think i went up 2 sizes mains, but i think i need to up it agin when i get the bike set-up. I have a rolling road local to me so I'll stick it on there to dial in the carburation.

this pic is of my tracker project and hope to finish it 2011 :bike:

@niko using the original air inlet pipes still uses the crank breather. go with whatever pods you prefer, i do like the angled K&N style

I had to modify the battery box slightly but it seems to be a nice fit. The side covers still fit fine.

Attachments

• filterpod1.JPG
    filterpod1.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 1,423
  • filterpod2.JPG
    filterpod2.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 1,812
On my 750 Seca, pods thoroughly mess with the mixture and make the motor run too lean. I like the looks of pods but do not want to run the motor dangerously lean. Are you guys getting some color on the plugs running pods on the 400?

Yeah, I know. I have some tuning and jetting to do.

I'd be more than happy to slap some new stock air filters on. Do you know where I can get some:laugh:? Ebay has one set right right now that isnt used. The guy wants 80 bucks for them. 80 bucks for 30 year old foam? No thanks.

These pods can be oiled to restrict some air flow, right? Anyone tried that?

Use pods Mikes XS's are good and a good price or the Emgo's, just raise your slide needle shim 1 or 2 mm or go up a size on the main jet. Stock main jet is L 127.5 and R 117.5 I would run L 132.5, R 130.0 - mixture screws 2.5 turns out. I am assuming you have Mikuni BS34 carbs and yes they are 54mm for pod mounting.

Here's how to vent the crankcase - available at most auto parts stores cheap and in different colors.

IMG_2034-1.jpg

Use pods Mikes XS's are good and a good price or the Emgo's, just raise your slide needle shim 1 or 2 mm or go up a size on the main jet. Stock main jet is L 127.5 and R 117.5 I would run L 132.5, R 130.0 - mixture screws 2.5 turns out. I am assuming you have Mikuni BS34 carbs and yes they are 54mm for pod mounting.

Here's how to vent the crankcase - available at most auto parts stores cheap and in different colors.

IMG_2034-1.jpg
I ran a crankcase filter just like the one pictured. I heard that some of those filters create alot of back pressure inside the case, causing oil to be released out of the filter. Mine shot oil all over my back (no rear fender), and the back wheel....which was a bit of a nightmare trying to get the bike under control. I took the crankcase filter off, and haven't had the problem since. I didn't touch the oil level at all, so that wasn't the problem. Just my experience though, maybe others will have better luck.

Back