All over the place...Maxim/Seca build

Now I know it fits and my Shorai battery fits under it...its on to a second and third coat of fiberglass.
IMG_20170408_081402.jpg

Used aluminium to fabricate brackets for the battery and starter solenoid.
IMG_20170409_160609.jpg
Used rivets for the brackets as i have not enough thickness to tap.
Starting to clean up, trying to figure out TCI and regulator placement. I think the regulator would get enough air there.
IMG_20170409_162809.jpg
IMG_20170409_162930.jpg

Starting to clean up, trying to figure out TCI and regulator placement. I think the regulator would get enough air there.
Looking good! I would suggest placing the Regulator centred, right behind the tank mount, with the cooling fins parallel to the centre line (as pictured). There is a significant amount of air that flows under the tank, and also through the frame, that should keep the regulator cool. I used nutserts/rivnuts to mount all my components as they also provide a slight air gap under the components. This allows for more air cooling and prevents any moisture from accumulating.

Where did you order your engine gasket set from? I've got DOHC Seca as well, and my right cylinder started to smoke like a sinner :( pulled the engine yesterday will start the take down tomorrow.

Looking good! I would suggest placing the Regulator centred, right behind the tank mount, with the cooling fins parallel to the centre line (as pictured). There is a significant amount of air that flows under the tank, and also through the frame, that should keep the regulator cool. I used nutserts/rivnuts to mount all my components as they also provide a slight air gap under the components. This allows for more air cooling and prevents any moisture from accumulating.
Anywhere up front will be good as where the wires pass there is an aluminium flap that goes down at a 45 degree angle so air will flow up into the cowl exactly where it sits now.
I have yet to buy the nutsert tool, it is next on my list as working with aluminium is easier and its quitte a lot lighter.

Where did you order your engine gasket set from? I've got DOHC Seca as well, and my right cylinder started to smoke like a sinner :( pulled the engine yesterday will start the take down tomorrow.
Disaster motors(a seller on e-bay)from BC Canada.
Last time he had the piston rings(standard size) also...

Getting back to the nest...
IMG_20170410_082633.jpg
I could NOT find rivnut/nutsert tools in town...So I bought aluminium flat bar that I tappped to make a bracket on the underside of the aluminium pan...That way I can bolt through and get some bite
To hold my reg/rec....
IMG_20170411_141034.jpg

Then I started cleaning up, shortening wires...soldering, taking wires out of plugs to shorten rather than cut and solder.
IMG_20170411_144352.jpg
...taking notes to remember what goes where.
IMG_20170411_144359.jpg
And after a couple hours of messing around.
IMG_20170411_173407.jpg

Still waiting on my new blade fuse box so that part of the loom is not as tiddy...But it looks a whole lot better.
AND, it all fits under my cowl with room to spare.:D
IMG_20170411_173448.jpg

Still need to clean up the "mini looms" for the relays and tie everything up under there so that the wires,plugs and relays don't flap around.
Installing rear brake switch still to come.
And figuring out how I will mount the ignition switch

Finally found a spot for my ignition switch, made a bracket out of aluminium flat bar to rivet to the frame, the ignition switch is screwed to the flat bracket with 6mm allenhead stainless bolts.
IMG_20170417_134402.jpg
Shouldn't be in the way...Have a look from the top...
IMG_20170417_134412.jpg

Last edited:
Then some more cutting/soldering to wire the Acewell's plugs in.
IMG_20170417_134441.jpg
Made a little aluminium bracket to bolt the Acewell on.
IMG_20170417_164419.jpg
IMG_20170417_170843.jpg

Then...After some more electrical...It works!
IMG_20170417_170854.jpg
Now, the flashing indicators worked but the LED flashers did NOT...they did NOT light up at all...so I chased an electrical Gremlin for 2 Days...rechecked the switch that I had rebuilt, checked every connection...Checked every wire for continuity...Then got scared that it was the auto-cancelling unit that was dead...Until I changed the LED flasher relay for one of the old stock ones I had laying around...And they lit!!!...So the relay was the culprit I think...Now I know how to test a stock relay with the battery...But do you go about it the same with an LED relay or do you need a resistor on there?
The high beam lights up along with the indicator, the brake switches work, the neutral switch light Works but...The oil light should come on when the switch is turned on...And it does'nt, so more checking to come but that is quite enough for today.

Figured out my oil pressure indicator problem,as it turns out I needed a power feed so I spliced a Brown wire into the black/red wire and... Voilà!
IMG_20170418_205023.jpg
The Acewell Lights up like a Christmas tree!
With the turn signals working, this was a happy day:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Last edited:
Now since I am going to cancel the canceller unit...Get it?...Ok bad one...
I came upon the kickstand safety relay...
IMG_20170418_205100.jpg
I didn't Do any chopping as of now but...I think that it will be going along with it's switch. This will clean up the harness a whole lot and eliminate troubleshooting steps down the road.
Now I DO know that these safeties are there for good reason but...I would also like to think that I can put my sidestand up before taking off....Or can i...
Oh well I guess I will sleep on it and make my decision in the morning.

Last edited:
Safety? Riding a motorcycle? Yeah, sure, killing the ignition if you put the bike in gear with the stand down is sooooo safe.

I removed mine years ago and haven't had an incident yet.
:agree:...the only safe motorcycle is the one you do not own...
That being said the auto-cancelling unit and the kickstand switch and it's safety relay will come off tonight.
I am pretty happy with how the electrical is going on this thing, if only my fuse box would come in...I would be done with that part...still have a lot to go...installing the magnet for the speedo...the stubby H-pipe...the exhaust(2 into 1 maybe...)...and wrapping them,body filler on tank/cowl, paint, installing the new shinkos on the wheels,chain/chain guard, rearsets,rebuilding/rejeting carbs, upholsering of the seat,making a licence plate holder/lights and the related wiring,what am I forgetting. ..oh... clean/rebuild the petcock, installing the new chain/sprockets, installing/adjusting the rearsets....:yikes:...still lots to go.

Last edited:
Back