1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

And then there was five.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xschris, Aug 28, 2016.

1. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Yep I now have five of them. Picked up an 80 G. Bike has 21k on it and a clean title. I does run good but the bike was laid down at low speed and a few things where broken. The bike also has a few other things bad with it. It will need a bunch of new stuff to get it road worthy and with four on the road now I think this will just sit. But it does run good after sitting for two years even with the big rot hole in the left exhaust. The good thing is I only paid $150 for it.

DSC03147.JPG DSC03149.JPG

MerlinDudley, 16VGTIDave and Jeff0133 like this.
  2. PEPXS400

PEPXS400 XS400 Enthusiast

That is a steal!! I have yet to find anything under $800.
    Nice dude!!

3. sprocketeer

sprocketeer XS400 Member

mass
    Damn nice, I bought my 81 xs400 special II for 700! It sat in a barn since 1986 with only 2100 miles on it! I brought the beast back to life to ride on.

4. Scorpio1963

Scorpio1963 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Where do you guys find these steals/deals?

5. Sesty

Sesty H.E. Pennypacker

awesome find... where do you find em

6. xschris

This was a little over an hour from me. Not a "steal" if I was to put it on the road. It would cost me somewhere around $400-600 to fix and find the stuff it needs to work correctly and be safe. Not to say the hours of time I would have to put in it. This was a Craig list find.

7. Brendan O'Carroll

Brendan O'Carroll XS400 Enthusiast

Uk
    Believe me that's what you call a steal. In the UK a pair of used front forks would cost that alone.

8. Jeff0133

Jeff0133 XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Not from me...heard somewhere
    -How many bikes do you actually need
    -...one more than I already have!

9. Ezetman

Ezetman XS400 Enthusiast

10. Scorpio1963

Scorpio1963 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

The xs`s of any cc size are a rare find in my city and the Detroit metro area.So even if you use the bike as a parts bike you got good deal.:)

11. xschris

Well I have the bike done other than a carbs sync which will have to wait till spring. This thing needed a lot of stuff. It's all stock other than the manual petcock, xs360 carb boot cages and the front wheel off a rd250. Also the front forks and brakes are from my 80sg. So I guess it's a little modded. I did the front to save money and time. The one that came with it needed to be gone through and since I was taking the 80sg off the road this made it easier. I had to buy about $325 worth of stuff that I did't have. If I add what I already had on the shelf or took off my 80sg it would be about $1k worth of parts. So about a $1150 build.

DSC03163.JPG DSC03162.JPG DSC03161.JPG DSC03160.JPG

Sean Shameless likes this.
  12. Too right Brendan, I had to change my front forks, and yolks, it cost me around £278.00 (including shipping and import duty) certainly not cheap, especially for used componants!

Merlin

13. You can never have too many bikes, Jeff! I think that we all would have to rent warehose space, IF we had all the bikes that we think that we "NEED"?

Merlin

14. OleDoc

OleDoc FREEBIRDS MC Central NY

damn Chris looking good.five isn't too many by any standard. now that I've got my xs's (that is funny how if you pronounce that is sounds the same as excesses lol)I've got each of the Japanese four companies and Harley covered.

15. xschris

Having enough room for everything is the problem. I have picked up a lot of parts over the last 18 yrs. I actually have six Yamaha's. I also have a 89 sh50 plus a bunch of parts for that one.

16. OleDoc

I know that feeling. just had to move outta my house after 10 years and rented a 10x15 storage unit

17. OleDoc

yeah I've got two old goldwings, a gs650,a700 Vulcan,two xs400's,a cb 750,and an ironhead

18. xschris

I think if I brought any more home I would not have a wife:laugh:

19. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

20. xschris

Took it out for the first time today. The bike ran perfect only did a quick carb sync with the mercury stix and that's it. No leaks or noises and pulls strong. Stock carbs, air boxes and mufflers make getting going so easy!!!

16VGTIDave, Jeff0133 and Ezetman like this.