And then there was five.

xschris

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Yep I now have five of them. Picked up an 80 G. Bike has 21k on it and a clean title. I does run good but the bike was laid down at low speed and a few things where broken. The bike also has a few other things bad with it. It will need a bunch of new stuff to get it road worthy and with four on the road now I think this will just sit. But it does run good after sitting for two years even with the big rot hole in the left exhaust. The good thing is I only paid $150 for it.

DSC03147.JPG DSC03149.JPG

Damn nice, I bought my 81 xs400 special II for 700! It sat in a barn since 1986 with only 2100 miles on it! I brought the beast back to life to ride on.

This was a little over an hour from me. Not a "steal" if I was to put it on the road. It would cost me somewhere around $400-600 to fix and find the stuff it needs to work correctly and be safe. Not to say the hours of time I would have to put in it. This was a Craig list find.

Not from me...heard somewhere
-How many bikes do you actually need
-...one more than I already have!

The xs`s of any cc size are a rare find in my city and the Detroit metro area.So even if you use the bike as a parts bike you got good deal.:)

Well I have the bike done other than a carbs sync which will have to wait till spring. This thing needed a lot of stuff. It's all stock other than the manual petcock, xs360 carb boot cages and the front wheel off a rd250. Also the front forks and brakes are from my 80sg. So I guess it's a little modded. I did the front to save money and time. The one that came with it needed to be gone through and since I was taking the 80sg off the road this made it easier. I had to buy about $325 worth of stuff that I did't have. If I add what I already had on the shelf or took off my 80sg it would be about $1k worth of parts. So about a $1150 build.

DSC03163.JPG DSC03162.JPG DSC03161.JPG DSC03160.JPG

damn Chris looking good.five isn't too many by any standard. now that I've got my xs's (that is funny how if you pronounce that is sounds the same as excesses lol)I've got each of the Japanese four companies and Harley covered.

Having enough room for everything is the problem. I have picked up a lot of parts over the last 18 yrs. I actually have six Yamaha's. I also have a 89 sh50 plus a bunch of parts for that one.

I know that feeling. just had to move outta my house after 10 years and rented a 10x15 storage unit

Took it out for the first time today. The bike ran perfect only did a quick carb sync with the mercury stix and that's it. No leaks or noises and pulls strong. Stock carbs, air boxes and mufflers make getting going so easy!!!

Back