Another dumb question

Old Mose

Daily Rider
Reaction score
I decided to remove and paint the side covers on my engine (one at the time). I cleaned and sanded some of the smaller parts and sprayed then with etching primer and after about 24 hours did a light sanding and sprayed the with header paint. All went well, yielding the smooth flat black finish I want to contrast with the Chevrolet Comp. Orange finish on the bike. Sunday the weather was clear and warm so I did a good cleaning on the right side cover which I had already sanded and sprayed it with the primer (same primer as on other parts) and it dryed until today. Again today the weather cleared up, humidity around 50%, temp of 67 degrees. I did a light sanding on the cover and sprayed it with the same can of header paint I was using. I got an instant wrinkle finish! I don't understand why but that's not my question. Do I let it dry well and attemp to paint over it or take it back down to bare metal and spray the header paint only? Or What?! I'm open for suggestions! I should have mentioned that the primer is a medium green showing through the flat black

Last edited:
I would start over if you want a nice finish. Where the parts all the same type of metal? My guess is temps and or moisture caused the issue. I know some paints wont mix well with others you may have been lucky with the first parts.

Thanks for your input. That's the way my thoughts were running also. I must admit that I didn't think about just being lucky on the other parts. The conditions were pretty much the same and all the parts were the same metal! There isn't much need in wasting time trying to figure out why. I guess since the header paint will pretty much stick to anything I'll leave the primer step out. I spent a lot of time getting the parts clean and sanded smooth but still rough enough that the paint would stick, I don't want to mess it up again! Thanks for your Help

I had the same problem painting my tank and side covers.Identical prep on both parts and after touching up ma few spots after it dryed I got the wrinkle or orange peel affect.I just resanded everything down and repainted.It came out better the second time around.

Paints work best with the dryest conditions, including relative humidity. I live SF, very humid pretty much all the time, so I can relate to your GA humidity. I recommend painting when your spouse isn't home, and using the oven at a relatively low temperature (like 200) after the paint is touch dry. Let the parts sit in the head for about a half hour to and hour or until it is hard dry. Then sand it. Sand between every coat, used compressed air to blast away any sanding debris. Sanding it nice and flat between coats can help reduce the orange peel, or eliminate it completely, even with rattled can.

Tombo, I didn't see your reply until after I had made my second attempt. I removed the finish down to the bare metal with stripper and cleaned it as per the directions. Resanded the whole thing. The primer was very had to get off so it was doing it's job. I decided to leave the primer step out and just sprayed it with the flat black paint. I let it dry for 24 hours and then put it in the oven for about an hours at 160 degrees and then let it cool down with the oven door open. I then let it dry for another 24 hours. Looked excellent! I decided to wipe off some of the flat with a soft cloth as I had done on the other parts. NOT GOOD! In several places the finish came off with the rag. Not large places but enough to know the finish wasn't going to stay on when put into use! I guess the good news is it want be hard to get off!
It would seem that I need to go back to the primer and use a different kind of paint.
I always watch the humidity when I paint anything, it was less than 50% but like many places, in Georgia in the winter, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour, it will probably change.

Using an oven to cure or speed up the drying usaly doesn't work very well.You need use a special kinda of paint to do this.
A while back I painted my tank and used a special oven that's especialy made for curing paint.It actualy made the paint lift off the tank and I had to redo the whole thing.If your going to paint let it natualy cure at 75* or higher for about a week.The paint job will turn a lot better and then you can clear coat.Just make sure you spray in even coats of paint and let it cure inbetween each coat or the paint will start bubbling or orange peeling.One thing I have learned about painting over the years is to take your time and don't rush things.
Good luck.

Back