Another fish story but this one didnt get away

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Most of you that have been on here a while no that I like to fish quite often and I have good luck in catching big fish.
Yesterday me and Mrs went out and were fishing for walleye but with the fall amost here and the water cooler than average for this time of year I decided to run a salmon lure on one of my poles just for the heck of it.
About 10 minutres later I had a big hit and line started ripping from my reel.I knew what it was as soon as I started fihting the fish.
I ended up catching a late summer early run chinook that weighed 17.25lbs.The fish meansured 37 inches long and had a 18 inch girth.
Heres a pic of my catch.My fishing trip ended unexpectedly early though after I burred a 4 ought size treble hook in 2 fingers. 17.25 lbs 37 inch long King.jpg

1st salmon 17.25lbs2013.jpg

Nice job.
We need details. In the river or off the mouth? Simply trolling or with a down-rigger? If the later, what depth?

Used to go pike fishing with my brother when we were little. Ended up once selling a fish for (at the time, to us as kids) a whopping 10 euros. Havent fished in years now though, but this makes me a little excited again. Still love cooking fish though :D

nice catch :) n yea how was it? stuffed some garlic and lemon in its gut and grilled it on the BBQ?

Havent decided how Im going to cook it yet,but more than likely on the grill.
Last year I struggled to catch salmon from the big river and didnt end up catching any till the 1st week in december.Hopefully theres at least a few more in my future for the upcoming salmon season that usualy starts in mid september.Whats ironic about this catch was that 10 years ago I caught another salmon on Aug 21st so history is repeating itself.

Attachments

• 20lb salmon August 21st 02.jpg
    20lb salmon August 21st 02.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Nice fish!! That should smoke up well :) I love smoking fish, this is the method I use:

It gets perfect results every time.

Heres my catch from last night,while nothing silver salmonoids these will fry up very well.

Attachments

• walleye caught aug 26th.jpg
    walleye caught aug 26th.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 233
Nice!!!!! I remember fishing with my dad I was about 12 on one of the small lakes west of Minneapolis. Dad decided to fly fish for some trout near a stream. Things were going well when a sudden gust of wind hit his fly deflecting it into his right ear. Took him a little while to find his lure till he felt the tug on his ear. We finished fishing fairly quickly after that and made a quick stop at the E R for a tetanus shot & to remove his fly from his ear. Must have been around 72 or 73.

Mr Stubbs I have sank quite few hooks in different places of my body over the years,It just comes with the territory.While bass fishing one day with a friend he went to cast and when the lure went forward right in the side of neck it went.It was a road runner lure that had a heavy lead head on it.I just cut it off at the shank and continued to fish till evening.I lived a black away from the hospital so I pulled in on the way home.Had the hook removed and that was that.Its these big trebel hooks that are the worst.They are lazer sharp and it doesnt take much for them to go deep.The last time I buried a large trebel was on a Friday the 13th full moon at the stroke of midnight using a black lure LOL.I called it an evil fish.

Just wanted to ad another one of most recent catches to show off.I caught this 12lb 30 inc lon Chinook yesterday.

Attachments

• 12lb salmon I caught friday..jpg
    12lb salmon I caught friday..jpg
    238 KB · Views: 229
Just wish the salmon was a female I need the eggs for steelhead fishing which should be turning on pretty soon.None the less Im glad I caught it.I have a lot of hours fishing time in since I caught this one and the one I caught back in August.

A fishing story sent to me by a friend in the States. I know fishermen never lie, but I'm not sure if it's true ...

I went fishing one morning but after a short time I ran out of worms.
Then I saw a Cottonmouth Snake with a Frog in his mouth.
Frogs are good Bass bait.

Knowing the Snake couldn't bite me with the Frog in his mouth
I grabbed him right behind the head,
took the Frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

Now the dilemma was how to release the Snake without getting bit.
So, I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little Whiskey in its mouth.
His eyes rolled back, he went limp.
I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the Frog.
mail

A little later, I felt a nudge on my foot.
It was that Snake, with two more frogs.

Ironic you bring up the mean nasty cotton mouth snake,I ot bit by one of those boogers while fishing when I lived down south.Hurt like a sob and my hand and arm were swelled 3 times their size for over a month.

can't imagine how that must have looked.. :wtf:

reminds me of my older brother who has a bad wasp allergy, he got bit in the lower lip once man that was hilarious. He walked around with a pound of meat for a lip for days :laugh:

Willem imagine your fingers being so swelled theres no space between them.A hand the half the size of a football and forearms that were about 10 inches around from the swelling.I first instinct was to to tie tourniquet around my upper arm then get to the hospital which was an hour and half away.Incidently I had no idea of these snakes venom was fatal so I made the trip in about 45minutes.No antivenom just had to let time take its course and wait for the swelling to go down.I had no use of my left arm to my hand where the snake had bit one of my fingers.

Just read a little more on cottonmouth snakes. Yea an adult cottonmouth bite can be deadly, good thing you're still with us :thumbsup: sounds like you got a pretty decent natural reaction to it, with the tourniquet n all. It must have hurt like a bitch though :laugh:

proven fact: fishing is much more dangerous than riding bikes!

Back