Anyone use ROTELLA OIL

1982xs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone uses the ROTELLA brand oil in the XS400.
Which has a JASO MC, Japanese oil rating.
I also have a LS650 Suzuki s40 aka " savage" the suzukisavage forum guys swear by this oil. made for motorcycles and the wet clutch. oils for V -TWINS have more additives than is needed. :thumbsup:

I have been running Rotella T6 full syn 5W40 for about 15k km. Clutch engages smoother, trans shifts smoother, neutral is easier to find, not a single oil leak, and reduced consumption despite more aggressive riding. This oil is a great choice for the DOHC engines, and probably good for SOHC's as well.

Rotella T, 15W40, 5qts at Walmart for $12.97, then if Menards is interested price competition, they will have it a penny cheaper, or so. I have not looked this season, that the way it was last year.

Do a search for Rotella, you will see, its used alot by us. The thing to note, is the compatible to a wet clutch system. One of the early threads(2 years ago) pointed that out. ( I have forgotten)

I found the link,
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6344

The forgotten code was MA. That is the code on the oil container, you need to know if your stuck out in normal world, and can not get to a Walmart, or gas station with diesel oil.

It's what I'm using in my Maxim, too. It also lets the engine start much easier on cold spring/fall mornings, much easier than the Castrol 20w50 I was using before.

I use the not syn Rotella and feel it shifts smoother, I previously ran Mobil syn 15-50,but drained it ASAP as it shifted rougher

im running rotella t6 in the vstar 1300 valve train a little bit noisier than yama lube but the clutch likes it. havent changed oil in build yet its still got some yama lube in it. before it goes on road ill probably put rotella in it

I use it, and you can't beat it for the price.

The Amsoil Full Synthetic I originally used felt/sounded better, but I had to put the kibosh on that oil after I had to get into the right side after 200 miles. Gets a bit expensive at $50 a gallon.

I'll stick with the Shell.

Back