Anywhere??

Christian Sharkey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have this 1980 and I can’t find parts anywhere I can’t get it to start I think I need a new starter and 1 more thing the electric start does not work what are all the parts I need for it to work? Any websites that sell parts?

Attachments

• 60787223-34F1-47FB-B6B5-029F6BDDAB7B.png
    60787223-34F1-47FB-B6B5-029F6BDDAB7B.png
    900.6 KB · Views: 208
It's difficult to see in your photo, but the XS400 relies on having the switchgear grounded through the handlebars to the frame. So either you need to run a ground wire to the starter button or strip paint off the handlebars to ground the housing against it. I forget if the starter circuit has a relay but it's the usual starter solenoid to starter motor setup. You can jump the circuit by applying battery power directly to the starter motor to see if it cranks (with the bike in neutral of course). I may have a starter in my parts stash if yours is bad. Other fellow forum-ites should have parts too.

Also if it hasn't run for a long period it doesn't hurt to remove the spark plugs and squirt a bit of oil into the cylinders to wet things and leave the plugs out while you crank the motor over. Make sure there's no dirt or debris around the spark plug holes that could get sucked in while you crank it over.

Back