AYA6006 Regulator / Rectifier combination unit

gabenielsen

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS400 Special II. Wouldn't charge... The battery was old and fried, so I replaced that. I went through the whole charging system (thanks everyone here, you are amazing). Wires, stator, field coil, connectors... all good. Bad regulator, big surprise. I ordered this:
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/yamaha-motorcycle-regulator-rd-350cc-400cc-xs-650cc.html
I thought it would be a clean, easy install. It was until it didn't work. I went through the charging system again, they sent me another one, still not charging. I've searched and searched for other posts and fixes and couldn't find any so here I am.
I traced the part that arrived to here:
http://www.dze.com.ar/en/producto/2331
Anyway, if I hook it up the way they say, the field coil never energizes. If ground the green wire from field coil, I get 13.25 - 13.75 volts when reving like i'd expect but my concern is that I'm completely defeating the regulator function and I'm just going to overcharge and start frying things again. Does anyone have experience with this?

They say it's compatible with the XS360 and all years of XS400.
It doesn't work that way. The wiring scheme changed between the XS360 and your XS400G.
It might be compatible with the 360 and not your bike.
IF that's the case you may be able to make it work by rewiring the field coil connections to the wiring harness.

They say it's compatible with the XS360 and all years of XS400.
It doesn't work that way. The wiring scheme changed between the XS360 and your XS400G.
It might be compatible with the 360 and not your bike.
IF that's the case you may be able to make it work by rewiring the field coil connections to the wiring harness.

Thanks so much! Pulled up a 360 diagram and studied... removed the brown lead to the field coil at the first plug and put it to ground. Everything appears to work! The regulator gets power through brown and sends power to the coil on green. Updates if it fails!

Hello,
I have the same type of reg / rec and i have the same problem
Can you make me understand better (even with photos if you can)?
thank you

I didn't really take any photos. Follow the wiring from the field coil up. There will be a connector with the green, brown, and two more wires (i think black and blue but i can't remember). Unplug the connector. Pull the male spade terminal on the brown wire out of the connector. Theres a tab you can bend down with a tiny flat head or other appropriate tool and it will slide out of the back. Re-connect the connector without the brown wire. Use a female spade and appropriate length of wire to find a good ground for the loose brown wire.
The connectors on the new part are the wrong sex so I cut them off and spliced in the old connectors from the old parts. The wire colors there were exactly the same. You'll have an extra black. I just connected both to the black lead on the new part because an extra ground never hurts. The new reg/rec mounts almost perfectly to the front of the battery box. It's a little tight but it fits.

Good luck!

The brown wire I have to unplug is from the coil field?
Or rectifier?

Thank you for having responded to me ... and to give me a hand

Attachments

• WP_20170702_19_30_46_Rich.jpg
    WP_20170702_19_30_46_Rich.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 342
  • WP_20170702_19_30_56_Rich.jpg
    WP_20170702_19_30_56_Rich.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 305
The original system regulated GROUND to the coil on the green wire. The AYA6006 regulator is designed to regulate POWER on the green wire.
So the brown wire from the field coil needs to be grounded. The brown wire still powers a bunch of stuff so make sure you're disconnecting it at the first connector from the field coil.
The brown wire at the regulator still goes to the regulator and should have power with the key on. It's the signal wire so the regulator knows how much power it's making and doesn't overcharge the system.

So the thread marked by the red darts cut it and connect it to the mass

I apologize for being repetitive but I'm Italian and I just speak a school English and using a translator is not always very clear .....

Attachments

• WP_20170702_19_30_46_Rich.jpg
    WP_20170702_19_30_46_Rich.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 366
Hard to tell from your photo but that looks right... dont cut it. Just pull the male terminal out of the plastic connector. So you can put it back if it's wrong.

Thanks a lot for all the shifts
Do you now ride the bike as it is going?
I would every case if it was to serve something for your bike contact me (I have lots of stock spare parts)
If possible I wanted to ask you a photo of how the mods were made
tnx

Just to understand .....

Attachments

• charging - Copia_LI.jpg
    charging - Copia_LI.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 478
Yes, though it can go to ground anywhere on the frame, doesn't have to go all the way to the battery.

Hi guys, hope I'm not too late to join this conversation? I'm about to buy one of those AYA6006 combination rectifier/ regulator units from Amazon. I noticed on the DZE link that Gabe posted, it showed the large connection for the rectifier with the positive or battery leg on the same side with two of the stator winding legs. I think mine has all three winding legs in a row or in the 1,2, 3 positions in the diagram on the DZE site. Any help or insight will be appreciated before I make the purchase. Thanks

I would like to xschris, if you could buy new Yamaha parts. I have original factory parts that check out ok, but don't charge. Rather not buy more of the same.

Thanks Spectra, if I knew the revival unit was a reliable piece it would be worth twice the price of the AYA part. I'll probably just take my chances and spend $50 on amazon. Summer will be over before I can ride worry free if I don't do something soon

Back