Back after 5 years

petei

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi XS400.com,

I joined and posted a bit way back in 2012, at that time I had purchased an 1982 XS400 Maxim.

The plan was to ride it cross country (Canada) from Vancouver to Montreal.

Well as many of you know life takes turns you don't expect. The trip didn't happen, I got married, moved to montreal for 1 year, then back to Vancouver for a year, then back to Montreal for 1 year, then in April 2015 we moved back to Vancouver for good.

All that time the my poor bike sat at my in-laws (in a garage and under a cover with the battery removed, I'm not that big of a monster). Honestly, I dreaded uncovering it and trying to start it, I knew it wouldn't start and I wasn't in a place where I felt comfortable tinkering on it.

This summer I finally have some time, money and the desire to work on it. I took the cover off, rolled it into a van and brought it to my place. Put gas in, attached booster cables from the car and tried to start it. It treid to turn over, there was spark, just no explosion, which is what I had expected (likely carbs are very coated in varnish).

The plan is to get the carbs out and cleaned, then try again. Once the engine is running, it will be time for a good clean and some much needed parts.
  • New chain and sprockets
  • New tires
  • Brakes will be serviced
Things I'd like to do
  • Clean up the electrical (wiring, lights, etc)
  • Paint (dif shade of green or light blue)
  • Reupholster the seat in brown leather
  • other cosmetics
I will be starting a thread for by build but for now I just wanted to say hi and that I'm glad to be back.

P.S. I half thought this site might be dead which would have been a great loss to the community.

P.P.S Thanks to those who reached out when I ghosted back then. You are great people.

Back