Basic Wiring for engine test

Baileyxs250

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

I recently bought an xs 250 to 'bob' and am wanting to test the engine.
I'm not too clued up about it all and would like to know what I need to do. I've looked at wiring diagrams etc but my brain just gets confused and switches off.

What I would love to know is what the very basics are that I need to get the engine running electrical wise via a kick start. + of battery goes to... and then ... etc.

I've got a loom and most other parts but none of it really seems to look like any of it connects. So I think I'll end up eventually doing a re-wire but I really would love to test the engine first and make sure it runs.

I Hope this isn't too much of an annoying question.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Joe

if you have points;

Battery; negative to frame.

positive to both coils
points to neg of coils with a spur off for condensors

kick it over

don;t leave the coils energised with no running engine or you'll burn them out

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply...
Just tried to turn her over as instructed, but unfortunately it did not work.
I took the carb out and only the side the fuel comes in through had petrol in... Do you think this would be the main problem or maybe I need to replace my coils and condenser or both?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!
Thanks,

Joe:banghead:

So managed to get it going. turns out the cables going to the spark plugs needed re connecting and now turns over. It's revving its bollocks off though.
I had a play about with the throttle cable tension and the idle adjuster and couldn't get it to sit at a comfortable rpm. probably somewhere in the area of 3000rpm, if I let the idle adjuster out anymore it would chug at a lower rpm but then cut out. sometimes with a puff of smoke from the carbs

Anyone have any ideas as to why?
Cheeeeeeersss!

Joe

Back